Scary oil change - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jmo69 is on a distinguished road
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Scary oil change

Got off work early today and decided to attempt some minor rust repair. After I had the bare metal treated I decided to check the oil. Pulled the dipstick and thought I found the dreaded 'pudding'. Looked under the oil cap and found nothing and the coolant was clean at the proper level. I'm leaning towards short trips in cold weather as the culprit, the car has never even gotten close to overheating ( the usual cause for blown head gaskets). When I put the drain plug back in it didn't go in easy and I thought I had cross threaded it . I think someone did at one time but didn't ruin all the threads, I was able to restart it and got it to seal . Next time I'll try to chase the threads or find one of those self-tapping plugs, used one on my wife's old Concord and it worked quite well. At least my new Peake Research tool worked and reset my oil sevice lights. Sorry I got so long winded.

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
AFAIK, the oil level may appear to be low when checked cold. Hope that helps.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
It wasn't the level I was concerned about, the back of the car was on jackstands, it was the little bit of foam on the dipstick that had me worried.

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
foam = overfilled oil level = more dangerous for an engine than too little oil.

#5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Oil level was good, it was a moisture issue, I only have a 1 1/2mi. drive to work each day.

#6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update

Finally got everything done, ie rust repair, snow tire removal, went to start it and nothing. Only some of the lights on the cluster lit up and not even a click from the starter. Battery voltage was 8.25v. Trunk was closed but not latched and the keys were not in the ignition. I'm hoping the trunk was the cause, the only thing different was that I've got a tape in the deck but with the key out it should be off.

#7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
Finally got everything done, ie rust repair, snow tire removal, went to start it and nothing. Only some of the lights on the cluster lit up and not even a click from the starter. Battery voltage was 8.25v. Trunk was closed but not latched and the keys were not in the ignition. I'm hoping the trunk was the cause, the only thing different was that I've got a tape in the deck but with the key out it should be off.
edit: Definitely the trunk light, trunk has to be latched for the light to go off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)