same fuse keeps blowing....help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1993 325is
Photos:
hunter325i is on a distinguished road
Unhappy same fuse keeps blowing....help

in my 92 325is my number 46 fuse keeps blowing. when i start the car, its fine, but when i press in the clutch, my fuel and temp gauge needles go down to nothing. but the car runs fine, until i turn the car off and try to start it again, and nothing....fuse BLOWN. now i noticed that the 46 fuse also is for the brake lights, which tonight they did go out.....do i have a short somewhere, i have never had this happen before, and i dont want this to possibly get to something worse.......

Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1993 325is
Photos:
hunter325i is on a distinguished road
well it the brake that is blowing the fuse.....somewhere i have a short that is blowing the brake light, instrument panel fuse.....number 46 if anybody cares...and i still havent found the problem
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
courtsbmw is on a distinguished road
Hey i have the same problem exactly what did you find out.
courtsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
papadude is on a distinguished road
well. I have a similar problem which I have believe has to do with the flasher relay. My brake lights stopped working, no turn signals working including those indicators on instrument panel, SRS stays on, both check engine lights as well. The problem is, as a new owner of BMW series, I cant locate the flasher relay. Do you know the location?
papadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
no not at the moment, i just got this car yesterday and i am still navagating around it, but if i do find it, i will post the location, i guess i will start with the flasher relay, keep post if u have some new info

thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 91' 318ic
Photos:
84bmw318i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 84bmw318i
what year is your bimmer papadude? i had the same exact problem in my 84' 318i and i replaced all the fuses that were blown under the hood but my blinkers still don't work. but anyway the relay in mine is under the steering column above the pedals.

hope it helps,
Matt

84bmw318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
hey I have found the flasher relay!!!!!!!

It is located in the fuse box under the hood and will be the tall black relay in the middle of the second row closest to the driver.

I am so happy

I found it was hot when I checked it also. I downloaded a pdf file from someone who cares about us all which shows all the diagrams (elektromanual_E36___3[1].pdf - Adobe Reader)
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
my bmw is 1992 and i am so happy to have found the darn thing
Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
find the pdf file i downloaded and do the same, I am sure it could be beneficial to anyone with these similar problems

good luck everyone
Old 10-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1994 325ic
Photos:
agtur2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem... my brake light fuse kept blowing out.

I replaced the fuses and brake light bulb around 20 times, replaced the brake switch under the brake pedal and spent many hours in my garage wondering "what the F$%K is going on here?!!!"

Anyway, in desperation... I decided to remove and re-install the OEM brake lights for testing purposes. The problem went away... but I thought WHY? The new brake lights were working fine for months. So I re-installed the newer clear brake lights and "swapped" out the connector that HOLDS THE BRAKE LIGHT BULB. "This fixed the issue"

I then re-installed the "suspected bad brake light holder" and the fuse blew within 5 seconds.

So... in conclusion, my problem was the actual connect that holds the light bulb...

Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1994 325ic
Photos:
agtur2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow... I just noticed the original question was posted way back on Sept 7th. I wonder if "Hunter325i" found the problem... or just gave up with the forum?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thanks for the info, hopefully this is the same problem i have, and this will surely save me a lot of busting my brains, i hope to get back the problem tommorrow and i will keep u guys posted on situation unlike hunter.

thanks again
Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
that was not the problem, it looks like i will have to take the time to pull out the interior and trace all the wires back to see if i have a short somewhere

any more help would be greatly appreciated

thanks for the previous info
Old 11-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
elektromanual_E36___3[1].pdf - Adobe Reader - download this file for future reference This has given myself alot of help - There are many diagrams, much more than any manual I ever purchased. Sorry for time delay, my email was so full
Old 11-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
car is making me nuts

I went out to play with the taillights and to trance any loose/pinched wires on the bmw, found nothing really so i decided to play switch aroo with some new bulbs in the taillights and the thing stop blowing fuses and the brake lights return. I thought great, fixed, everything works. But later I came back and tried the turn signals and the right side worked and left did not, so i figured i messed something up in the left taillight went into order a new set, but i was still bored and decided to play some more, when i began playing again and switching i discovered a blown turn signal fuse, replaced it with new one but nothing, now i have no turn signals front, back, side and no brake lights, the turn signals on the dash do not even work. So now i am confused on what the issues are, i think there must still be a loose or pinch wire somewhere or maybe another blow fuse. or maybe it is the taillights still but i do not understand why it work fine for awhile stop blowing the #46 fuse and then started blowing the turn signal fuse, and now all the fuses are fine but i have nothing not even in dash display, what the hell is going on here.
Once the new taillights come I guess I will be playing some more, maybe the bulb connectors are bad, there could be some screwy wiring from the previous owners, who knows anymore.

My question is, is there another fuse panel within the car because all the fuses under the hood are fine, i have never owned a bmw but my previous cars have always had a seperate fuse box within the car itself and for the life of me I can not find.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)