Safely Raising My E36 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:35 PM
drz
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys, can I safely jack my car up if I put jackstands right besides the jack point rubber studs? WIll the car hold well there? Also, my car is parked on a slanted surface (about 20 degree angle), and I can't move it without a tow truck. How safe/dangerous wil it be to jack it up and get underneath it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 02:21 AM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
YOU SHOULD NEVER JACK UP A CAR ON UNEVEN SURFACES!!!!!
GRAVITY IS A "B!T@H!!!!!! THE CAR CAN ROLL, AND YOU CAN DIE!!!!

try to get it to roll back till ur on level ground. its very stOOpid to try and do it on a hill.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
im have to agree, dont jack up the car on an incline, if your working on under it you run a huge risk of getting killed a painfull way. however im not sure what your asking. is it you just wanna know for the sake of knowing or what.

#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

mostwired is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, putting a jack stand beside the rubber is okay (you can put it on the rubber it you have a circular flat jack support.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by drz328i@Jan 24 2005, 11:35 PM
Hey guys, can I safely jack my car up if I put jackstands right besides the jack point rubber studs? WIll the car hold well there? Also, my car is parked on a slanted surface (about 20 degree angle), and I can't move it without a tow truck. How safe/dangerous wil it be to jack it up and get underneath it?
[snapback]278589[/snapback]

My friend, we can always in life, get rip off by the stealer, or th next guy on ebay//
but with gravity, there is no dealing.

Uneven surface will very likely make your car fall,. do not do it..

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:33 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
That's what I thought. Just checking.

Quote:
Originally posted by Furious@Jan 25 2005, 02:30 AM
...however im not sure what your asking. is it you just wanna know for the sake of knowing or what.
[snapback]278690[/snapback]
I am asking because my car is parked outside, on a slant, with a broken rear lower control arm (wishbone). I am planning on replacing it in the next few days, but I didn't want to have to tow it. I have AAA, though. Now I just need a place to take it where the surface is level.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
n00b

paulb is an unknown quantity at this point
if you can do the job by just jacking the back up with blocks under the front tires you'll be ok... dangerous but you'll be fine... In my limited experance jacking my 325 the metal just behind the rubber jack studs is fairly thin and started to flex when i was setting the car down on a jack stand there... I would put the jack stand right on the rubber stop and jack on the rear end.

If your car slips off and lands on you or if the jack stand goes throught the floor board... Ummm... Well i didnt write this....
#8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:19 PM
drz
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by paulb@Jan 25 2005, 11:14 AM
If your car slips off and lands on you or if the jack stand goes throught the floor board... Ummm... Well i didnt write this....
[snapback]278838[/snapback]
lol! Don't worry, I won't place blame on you. Howvwer, if I try this and don't die (i.e., even if I end up in the hospital), I'll mke sure to come back and let you all know.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Just as a note to the above suggestions... make sure you dont place the jack any more forward than the existing rubber stud... if you want.. you can take a flat head and pry that out.. and place the jack where that is for added piece of mind...

Good Luck,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:33 PM
drz
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
I'll take note of everything said above. Now, I'm gonna go get under the car for a little while (I'm not jacking it up yet). And just for clarification purposes, yes, all I really need to do is lift the car from behind. Maybe I can even get away from just raisinf the left rear side of the car. That's what I'm going to check on right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)