BMW Werkz banner

Runs for 5 mins then dies *PLEASE HELP*

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  CFBmw1994 
#1 ·
My E36 318i is driving me crazy it started as a hesitation well driving at freeway speeds but would clear its self up. Going to work the other day it started to surge then for the 1st time I see the check engine flash and my tach drop to 0 then back up to 4000.

Soon after that when I came to a stop sign it died it started back up ran like crap. I had to tow it to my brothers house where it started back up and would idle for 5 - 7 mints then die it did this time after time. Any help would be greatly appreciated below is what I have changed in the last 2 weeks.

New Spark Plugs
New Spark plugs wire
Fuel filter was change about 3 months ago
New Fuel pump just yesterday
clean intake and clean the ICV

#3 ·
Hi David and thanks for the reply and no I been buy my fuel from the same place for a year now. Also when its started acting up like I stated it was doing a surge at while cruising at freeway speeds around 70-75 MPH .Then for the 1st time it did this the check engine flash and my tach drop to 0 then back up to 4000, then it started to die at stop lights and signs.

After replacing the fuel pump with a new one and cleaning the ICV it starts and runs for 5-7 mins then dies. I was praying someone would know that is going on with my 318i its driving me crazy and depressed.

#4 ·
Just to Note *

Also to note when the car dies its does NOT sputter or acts as if its running out of gas it just cuts off, then somethings it will start right back up other times it will struggle to start then start and run fine for 5-7 mins the cut back off.

#7 ·
Sorry, the correct procedure for OBD1 cars is here Pelican Technical Article: Reading BMW Fuel Injection Fault Codes. If you are not getting any codes, the problem has to be mechanical, try switching out the fuel pump relay with another relay (same pin configuration) from a non-critical system (e.g. the horn relay). These things only have a limited life-cycle and once the points are burned they can initially introduce intermittent failures before failing completely.

#9 ·
Fixed ******

I hope this may be of help to someone else that my be going threw what I did dealing with this issue, to sum it up I cleaned out my MAS,ICV, new fuel filter and fuel pump my car still was cutting out and not running right.

After some more research and looking up what controls the tach because at 1st my car was starting to act up at freeway speeds with the tach reading @3500 then dropping down to 0 then back to 3500 then it would start to surge or have a slight hesitation and this was due either the camshaft position sensor or the crankshaft position sensor going out.

So I replace both of them and after 2 hours of labor and about $170 for both sensors the car now back to running like a BMW should and a rocket on the freeway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.