rough rider - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tommo8ball is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
rough rider

I have a man 91 E36 320i, havent done any mods to engine yet and dosent look like i will for a while untill i get all the problens i have with it sorted. Its been running like a dream for the past year and a half I've had it , but as of the past 3 weeks i had nothing but trouble!

heres whats wrong and help would be so greatly appricated:

* my instrament cluster has stoped working i dont have revs, speed, fuel or temp. batt oil and e break lights still work though!cant get error codes out of the on bord diagnostic as i either cant get the stupid method of geting the to come up to work or the engine check light isnt working so that stuffs me a lil. (however I have checked all fuses none of which are blowen and have removed cluster and checked all plugs and rear panel all of which are fitted fine even though tis was the case i removed the rear panel this revieled a resister has blowen , dont know if this could cause all 4 guages to stop working or not)

* engine has started to run rough as if only running on 4 cylinders ( and as you should all know the 320 is a 6 ) and even worse sounds kinda like a sick boxer! it dose this the magority of time its running but will have patches when its running fine , idle is rock solid at 800 rpm though(i have checked coil packs all of which are fine , only 1 fouled plug which was no 1 cyl,have replaced air panel filter with new pod filter and have checked fuel filter for blocks and put some injector cleaner all to no avail, rubed down relay spade to with abrasive paper to remove oxide , an have had a small backfire through intake, before the engine started playing up it had a slight over heat due to silcon form the water pump housing making its way to the radiator ,have removed thermostat to check after overheat car ran fine for a week after which so dont think its head or head gasket but may be wrong will do compression test soon to see, thermostat is the only thing ive touched on engine)

Would be really interested to see if any one out ther has had the same sort of issues , i have a sneeky suspission that it may be my ecu and or air flow meter, i jst dont have the money to go throughing at replacement parts on a hunch or to get a diagnostic done, sucks to be poor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:15 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
just a update have cleaned ICV and AFM has improve mid rev range but still bogs down/ coughs splutters when you first take off or over 3500 revs

#3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I'd replace that blown fuse, and then have a go at the ignition system. Even simple things like the plug wires can cause issues.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 02:47 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
I'd replace that blown fuse, and then have a go at the ignition system. Even simple things like the plug wires can cause issues.
its looks to be a resister , haven't solved that going to get some 1 at work t look at it , haven't found out what any of the other problems are yet i just put it back into the garage , looking around for a place that has a good reputation for diagnostics than ill just have to bite the bullet and take it in on a car trailer ! will be sad to see her on a trailer . but will be worth it to have it fixed !!!!!!

Last edited by tommo8ball; 11-22-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)