BMW Werkz banner

Rough idle then some...

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  AutobahnBMWParts 
#1 ·
Hi all. I can't remember the last time I've posted on this forum. Probably due to work hoarding all my free time and the car not giving me issues since the transmission swap.

Anyways, got a '94 with just under 255k miles. Cranked the car to head to work and it had a really rough idle. Some say bimmers do that if they sit for awhile, but it only has been 2 days since I last drove it. Though it might be the rubber tubes that hook up to the bottom of the air intake, but they were on. So drove it to work (10 mile drive) lifted the hood to fine smoke coming from the passenger side. Didn't see any fluids leaking but couldn't get a real good look. This is my daily driver (but not my only car) and like to get it fixed or at least figure out what I need to do to get it running properly. Any suggestions or help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Justin

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
UPDATE: So when I got home, i started looking under the hood and didn't see the smoke nor did it have the rough idle on initial start up. I quickly realized that my radiator was running really low on fluid (guess my OBC wasn't lying to me…). So filled it up and will see if it does the same thing or if that was the issue.

I went ahead and took out all the spark plugs since it had been a year when I installed them on top of replacing the valve cover gasket. I took pictures and would love to see if someone could tell me what's going on with them as I don't know how to diagnose them just by looking at them. I do still have the old ones and can take pictures if that will help. Pictures to follow… Thanks!

#4 ·
your plugs look corroded and in bad condition, they should last a lot longer than 1 year, but you should go ahead and start off with changing those first.

Your radiator running low on fluid would cause your engine to overheat and run at higher temperatures, it wouldnt necessarily create a rough idle.

Could you explain the "rough idle" a little bit better. Would help me to get a better idea of what the problem would be

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.