Rotors - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 04:15 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
smittyM3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Rotors

another question concerning my bimmer... i think its time to replace my rotors, but im not too sure because they look perfectly fine. i cant see that they're warped or wearing or anything. anyway... im still convinced its my rotors because everytime i brake at fairly high speeds (highway mostly) my steering wheel shudders around like crazy..

so i looked at some rotors online and i saw the regular disc brakes (which i have now) cross drilled and slotted. i have no idea of the difference btwn these 3. but if i do decide to get either the drilled or slotted can i only have them on my front brakes and not my rear? (since ill still have regular disc brakes on the rear)

whew. bimmers can be money pits, but they def. are worthit lol

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

paco1076 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to paco1076
Well, I haven't put drilled/slotted rotors on my Beamer yet, but I did have drilled and slotted rotors on my Integra at all 4 corners. They were the best. Never experienced brake fade after that... Now you do need to be aware that you can't "turn" drilled or slotted rotors. If they warp, you are done. You would need to purchase new rotors. You may be able to get away with having your current rotors turned. If you can, take one off and take it to a machine shop and ask the machinist if he can "turn" them. He should check to make sure they aren't too thin and then you will know your answer.

Good luck,
Paco

1997 E36 M3 - running stocker style right now...
#3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
check out frozenrotors.com from what i heard, they are pretty good... drilled and slotted dont do much for ur car...
#4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 AM
1st Gear Member

paco1076 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to paco1076
Really? I thought for sure they would help. I know that the front brakes have air directed to them to cool them off faster, maybe that is why. since the drilled/slotted rotors are designed to dissipate heat faster...

1997 E36 M3 - running stocker style right now...
#5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Drilled have holes, slots have slots. People can argue back and forth over which one is better, but for street the rotors won't make a difference. If you plan on tracking your car or doing other forms of extended "spirited" driving then they can help reduce brake fad and should be matched with non-oem pads for the best effect.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid
Drilled have holes, slots have slots. People can argue back and forth over which one is better, but for street the rotors won't make a difference. If you plan on tracking your car or doing other forms of extended "spirited" driving then they can help reduce brake fad and should be matched with non-oem pads for the best effect.
Good post.

The arguement has always been made as to which is better. Slotted eat away at your pads quicker because the "slots" slice off a layer essentiall each time you push down the pedal.

Yes you can put x-driller or slotted at the frotn and not the rear. The advantages from them are minimal on the street besides their appearance.

How many miles does your vehicle have? Why are you so sure it's not something suspension related like control arms?

Do this quick check.

Stand on the side of your car observing the front wheel. Have a friend drive the car slowly then slam th brakes. 1-3 mph. if you notice the wheel shakes a little bit it's very possible your control arms are the problem.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Also could be your wheel hub/bearings or even a missing or worn sway bar link.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
hmm, i didnt consider all that. but im pretty sure they're my rotors, because whenever i brake at high speeds it'll shudder. if im going slow i can hit the brakes as hard as i want and i wont feel a thing shudder wise. my car has about 124,000 on it. but yeah that makes sense, i dont do any track driving. i mean ill drive my car hard here and there but i dont think its enough to make use of slotted or drilled rotors. but i do like the appearance, so paying the extra couple of bucks for appearance might be alright with me.. but thanks a lot guys, i learn something new everyday..
#9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Check otu BimmerWorld - Race Proven BMW Performance Parts and OEM Parts
www.turnermotorsports.com

I use those two websites religiously

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I may be wrong, but to me the fact that you only get shimmies at higher speeds points not to the rotors, but to suspension components

#11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

bimmerfreak87 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to bimmerfreak87
my bro's 318 did the exact same thing. His rotors were warped like crazy.

i recently got new gas slotted rotors on my 323is and some axxis pads. o and alos new barings. and my car stops like a dream.

it sounds like you need new rotors but thats just my opinion (it could be anything)
#12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
It does sound like rotors are the problem.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
drz
Administrator

When I had warped rotors I could feel "pulsating" while braking, regardless of speed. I also know a guy with brand new brakes and shimmies. He's looking at a new wheel hub. Just saying.

#14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:50 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
wait, drz, are you saying like... my rim itself might be bent? bc ive heard that happening to bmw's, which i heard was a fortune. i dont know... i guess my best bet is to just let someone look at it, that'd be the safest way. and i really hope its not any suspension work, i dont have the slightest clue of that either lol.

and thanks for the website, ive never come across it before. and the prices for rotors are slightly less than what ive been looking at.
#15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 01:00 AM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
when I had a similar problem a few months ago, changing the tierods fixed that

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)