BMW Werkz banner

Roof Rattles A Bit. Sunroof Issue?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  liltrig99 
#1 ·
So I recently bought a 1994 325i with only 90,000. The owner said he hadn't used the sunroof in about 9 years so didn't know if it worked and didn't want to try because he was affriad the motors or lifts might be rusted or broken, whatever. Valid caution.

So I was planning on just taking to someone car savvy right as i opened it for the first time incase something goes wrong. sadley my plan was interupted.

My friend came to check out car, first thing he did: "woah sunroof super cool"

Luckily the sunroof retracted and then closed again perfectly fine. But then on the highway I started to hear a rattle in the roof back where the sunroof would retract into. It sounded like a big empty space (duh) but with some loose components. The roof still retracts and closes just fine but the "vent option" doesn't work. When I try to get it ino "vent mode" the motor struggles and then gives up. I found instruction on how to take roof apart but I don't want to yet until someone gives their two cents.

#2 ·
Yup, similar thing happened to my 328i. A couple plastic guides, coated in lubricant, broke/came loose and prevented my internal sun-shade (the fabric covered shade) from closing cleanly. When one part broke loose while it was recessed, the sunroof wouldn't close completely. I took the shade off and removed the plastic pieces that came loose. Sunroof works fine now.

#3 ·
Originally posted by Hootie361@Jul 18 2005, 09:37 AM
Yup, similar thing happened to my 328i. A couple plastic guides, coated in lubricant, broke/came loose and prevented my internal sun-shade (the fabric covered shade) from closing cleanly. When one part broke loose while it was recessed, the sunroof wouldn't close completely. I took the shade off and removed the plastic pieces that came loose. Sunroof works fine now.
[snapback]363249[/snapback]​

Could you elaborate on the "removing of the shade" ?

#4 ·
does this mean tht when u use the 'vent option' the inner cover is ment to go fully back? mine gets stuck about half way.

thnx

ill take a pic if u dnt knw wht i mean...

#5 ·
If u plan on removing your sunroof, just be aware, you might get more than you bargained for. I tried to fix my roof a while back, and after i had started i realized there was a lot of work to it and once you start you cant really turn back.

You have to remove all the headliner, and most likely if you have a problem, then theres some broken pieces inside which will make standard removal procedures ineffective. Thats what happend to me. Plus make sure you either have access to new parts, or have the parts on hand, cuase theres nothing worse than knowing the problem but being unable to fix it.

In the end, its very possible to do, just make sure that your prepaired before you start. I did it before i was prepaired, and just kinda messed up. Know my roof doesnt work at all and i just haven't gotten the time to go back and fix it correctly.

Hope that helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.