RIMS & Higher Octane - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

Hey Guys
I have been having some discussion with some people and it was bugging me so I thought I could get some experienced opinions out here.
Firstly, I always thought a higher octance rating gave an extra boost for pickup. The reason for this thought is that when I had a toyota camry for a yr before my bmw, although it was a 4 cylinder, I could actually tell the difference in pickup when I put 89 octane and 93 octane. However, now after some friends pointed out and did some research online, it claims no difference in performance unless you change the compression ratio. Is this always true cuz I could swear I could tell a difference.
Secondly, one of my friends claims that fancy rims actually hinder performance negligibly. He says that the normal simple rims which fit hubcaps on them provide the best mass distribution and BMW and all the "good" car companies just put rims cuz they look good. My claim is that they looks are a part of it , but I do not believe under any means that they hinder performance.
Some advice to get me good sleep at night will be highly appreciated. Thanks
Q

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JUST SOLD:</span> <span style='color:blue'>01 BMW 330i with Sport &amp; M Package(5sp)</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
BBS makes BMW's stock wheels I believe (at least mine are) and they are a HIGH PREFORMANCE wheel corporation. Take a look at F1 cars, look at their wheels, they looks like BMW's style 44 (what I have)

The stamped steel frame wheels are HEAVY and NOT as durable compaired to the BBS and high preformance wheels. Yes, designer chrome rims (dubs, pimp wheels, etc) are generally not high preformance unless you get them from a preformance manufacturer., they may have tons of imperfections in their weight ballence and can be weak, etc etc.

The stock forged alloy wheels BMW uses now are of great quality, You can definately go better, but they are rather good to begin with compaired to other manufacturers.

#3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Ok... speaking from only what I know.. and I might be wrong... so someone correct me if I'm wrong here..

The different levels of octane in gasoline tell you how much fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. So... this is the down low so you can tell them the exact answer... Gas is comprised of crude oil.. then it goes to the refinery.. and then you get .. what they call hydrocarbon chains of different lengths... then its blended to form different types of fuels acourding to the length of the chain... such as butane... methan... and propane... and of course gasoline... well I know I'm getting on a tangent.. but octane is just one of those lengths of crude oil.. it can be compressed to a very high ratio before it combusts... so if your running 93 octane... thats 93% octane and 7% heptane... and will combust at a given compression ratio... so thats why you need to use a certain gas in a certain engine... all is relative with compression and octane. A higher octane fuel though... will be able to compress to a higher ratio.. therfor making your engine run at a slightly higher compression so it can combust after it mixes with H2O.

As for bigger rims... the bigger the more negetive camber they are going to induce on the suspention and shocks. So... it will wear your tires out faster.. I dont know much about how tires might hinder performance... But an interesting thing is... think about this... the bigger the wheel.... the more area traveled in one full rotation.... ?? might make it faster theoretically.... ha

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Any forged alloy wheel be better than a steel wheel, due to better integrity and less weight. Also, larger rims are generally wider, which yeilds more contact patch, which is generally good.

Octane. You won't notice a difference in performance unless the car has a high compression ratio. Putting 89 into a high compression engine can cause detonation, which results in loss of power. Ergo, higher ocrane is used. For cars with knock sensors, it isn't as big of a deal, as the computer can control the fuel to prevent detonation. However, with higher octane the risk is less, allowing the engine to run unhampered, which would in theory allow for more continuous power.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
hey
thanks 97alpine. first of all, ur car is freakin sweet man, how much did you spend on those hamman rims ? you know where to get good replicas ? lol
so I got the explanation on octane, so was i just imagining a better boost in my camry ? does one have to change the compression ratio in their car ot notice the difference ? sorry but I wasnt ocmpletely clear yet if I was jus fooling my self on my camry or if it does make a diff. On my 328i nothing but premium has gone in and always will.
thanks buddy
Q

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JUST SOLD:</span> <span style='color:blue'>01 BMW 330i with Sport &amp; M Package(5sp)</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
#6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Thats what I was getting at... thanks... sometimes... I cant get things from my mind to my hands to the screen.... argh

#7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Been here a while.

To the best of my knowledge... if the theory is correct... which I explained in that long post about octane... then yest you will feel a difference... due to the fast that your fuel wont combust untill the engine reaches a higher compression.... compression increases HP. So... if you increase the compression of your engine... then you might have felt something.... this is all theory.. .and I dont know the exact physics and alchemy behind it...

#8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey
yes thats what the theory says. But I did not DO anything to my 4 cyl camry last yr but could clearly tell the difference and was so sure of it. confusin....
Q

#9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Been here a while.

To be honest with you... I didnt buy them.. they were a christmas gift the year before last.... but you can look them up online.. they are not cheap I know that.... nothing is from Hamann.. but they make some good stuff that looks good... not exactly towards the performance minded person.. but it looks good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)