BMW Werkz banner

Replacing Stock Gauges With New Ones

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mmendell 
#1 ·
I got these white gauges for my 318is...unfortunately my steering wheel doesn't tilt! must i take the dang steering wheel off just to get the cluster out, or is there some other way?!

#2 ·
1. u CAN take the steering wheel of, but i dont think u want to do that.
2. if try hard enough, pull it out as far as it will go, and disconnect the connector from the car, and u can squeeze it through, it has been done on a 318.. lol

#3 ·
Originally posted by caLVin@Oct 5 2004, 11:57 AM
I got these white gauges for my 318is...unfortunately my steering wheel doesn't tilt! must i take the dang steering wheel off just to get the cluster out, or is there some other way?!
[snapback]205316[/snapback]​
Got the same problem on my 325... to tilt steering.

#5 ·
yeah, their some ebay gauges. dont look like theyd be the best of gauges, but sure looks like theyd look better than the stock ones. if i dont like them ill probabely be taking them out.

#6 ·
sorry for the bump, just looking for someone who might know the answer

#7 ·
You dont need to take the steering wheel off, you just need a little bit of finesse :)

i replaced my stock gauges on my 318i with new lockwood ones, its a case of pulling the cluster out at a certain angle (helps with another person giving you a hand) and taking it out to the top left (or top right if your a USA guy) just needs finesse as i said but it CAN be done :)

good luck!

#8 ·
In my '95, I just removed the plastic piece on top of the steering wheel. Then, check the turn signal mechanism. It should just pop out. Leave it hanging by it's wiring.

Then, start the car. Pull the gauge cluster towards you, and turn the wheel (with the guage cluster) to the left. Mine came right out. Installation is in reverse order!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.