BMW Werkz banner

Replacing A Coolant Hose

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BYOCOM 
#1 ·
Any tricks to replacing the thin coolant hose that connects to the driver side of the engine (2.0L I6)?

The hose is ruptured right near the hose clamp. I plan to cut off the damaged length and re-attach it but DAMN, the focking intake manifold is right in my way.

Man what a PITA it will be if I have to remove the manifold just to change that hose... Also is there a heater control unit that hides under the intake manifold also? I suspect that might be bad as well...

Sigh... I'm back to driving my Kadett until I get this fixed. I hate that car. :wrench

#4 ·
Holy absence of appropriate fine manipulation, Batman!!

I'd say that removing that hose was a bitch and a half, but in actuality it was more like 2 bitches and they each brought friends!! Good damn grief!

I didn't end up lifting the car at all. My ramp purchase was for naught. I just used the tiny space beneth the intake manifold going in through the engine bay (not under the car).

I used a 7mm socket, a tiny ratchet, a small pair of pliers, and a bunch of bad words. Finally got it off and it appears that the hose is weak in more areas than just the portion that ruptured, so I'll be buying a new hose. I can't wait to find out how proud of this part the BMW dealership will be... €€€

Kinda glad this happened in a way cause, as I was looking under the manifold thinking of how I would tackle the problem and how much I hate cars, I noticed the very faint yet distinct odor of gasoline. I looked at the hose that connects to the front most port on the fuel rail and it was a little wet. I touched it and smelled it and sure enough. Now I need to get a clamp so I can clamp that sucker off for a moment while I put on a new hose clamp (tightly)! It seems that the hose clamp that's on there now is at its tightest which obviously is not enough.

Man, that could have lead to a fire or something! And this car was maintained by an auto shop before I bought it according to the previous owner. As much as it often annoys me to work on cars, I'm glad I know how to do most of my own repairs/maintenance... Nobody cares about MY car and MY safety quite as much as I do...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.