Replacing A Coolant Hose - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 06:26 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BYOCOM is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Any tricks to replacing the thin coolant hose that connects to the driver side of the engine (2.0L I6)?

The hose is ruptured right near the hose clamp. I plan to cut off the damaged length and re-attach it but DAMN, the focking intake manifold is right in my way.

Man what a PITA it will be if I have to remove the manifold just to change that hose... Also is there a heater control unit that hides under the intake manifold also? I suspect that might be bad as well...

Sigh... I'm back to driving my Kadett until I get this fixed. I hate that car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Yea... have you tried to get to it from under the car.... if I'm not mistaken.. there is nothing in the way besides maybe a sway bar...

Good Luck,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 11:44 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I sure haven't. I'll see if I can't get my hands on some ramps and jackstands. Thank you for your suggestion, this is obvious but I hadn't even thought of it
#4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 04:55 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Holy absence of appropriate fine manipulation, Batman!!

I'd say that removing that hose was a bitch and a half, but in actuality it was more like 2 bitches and they each brought friends!! Good damn grief!

I didn't end up lifting the car at all. My ramp purchase was for naught. I just used the tiny space beneth the intake manifold going in through the engine bay (not under the car).

I used a 7mm socket, a tiny ratchet, a small pair of pliers, and a bunch of bad words. Finally got it off and it appears that the hose is weak in more areas than just the portion that ruptured, so I'll be buying a new hose. I can't wait to find out how proud of this part the BMW dealership will be...

Kinda glad this happened in a way cause, as I was looking under the manifold thinking of how I would tackle the problem and how much I hate cars, I noticed the very faint yet distinct odor of gasoline. I looked at the hose that connects to the front most port on the fuel rail and it was a little wet. I touched it and smelled it and sure enough. Now I need to get a clamp so I can clamp that sucker off for a moment while I put on a new hose clamp (tightly)! It seems that the hose clamp that's on there now is at its tightest which obviously is not enough.

Man, that could have lead to a fire or something! And this car was maintained by an auto shop before I bought it according to the previous owner. As much as it often annoys me to work on cars, I'm glad I know how to do most of my own repairs/maintenance... Nobody cares about MY car and MY safety quite as much as I do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)