Replacement Stereo - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 2002 525i and 1995 325i
Photos:
cjscopp is on a distinguished road
Replacement Stereo

Need some opinions folks. Daughters 1995 325i sedan needs a new head unit (volume is very scratchy when adjusting). Been looking around and see lots that will work but don't see anything about new head units controlling the trunk mounted CD player. I realize new head units come with in dash CD players and IPOD connections but I need to know if others simply disconnect the original CD player and let it sit or are there aftermarket head units that will control the trunk CD player? Also any comments on which units others have bought?
cjscopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1996 Black 328i Coupe
Photos:
Nato_328i is on a distinguished road
If my memory is correct, it is an Alpine unit in the boot? There for im sure that at some point they would have made an adapter, however, in this would mean you need to purchase an alpine head unit.

Found a link here if it helps at all?

e36_328i_installing_cd_head_unit_and_shuffle_chang er

Good Luck
Nato_328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tintin is on a distinguished road
radio

u would need to buy the 2 together radio and cd changer it really hard to get radio to suit cd changer on bmw it can be done but be hard to find + cd changers are dieing thing with ipods all in
tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
It usually takes a lot of tedious wiring work to get an aftermarket unit to control the changer. If you absolutely want to run a changer, get a CD43 unit ... it's a unit from newer BMWs and it can do whatever you want it to do with the factory system without spending the rest of time wiring it up.

That said, I'd just get a in-dash CD mp3 unit and forget about the changer (as I have done in all my cars) ... one CD with a 150 songs sure as hell beats 6 CDs with a 100.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Thanks folks, just what I thought. Going out today with my daughter to pick out a new unit.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Now I need some real help folks. Got a new JVC KD R200 head unit, wired it up using the wiring adapter everyone sells and everything turns on but no sound from the speakers. I hooked up an external speaker I had lying around and voila sound, but nothing from the car speakers. I have been installing car stereos for 30 years but can't figure out what is missing. Does this thing have amps that have to be powered up? Any suggestions??
Old 09-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it has an amp on the left side of the trunk behind the carpeting.

The white wire behind the radio is the remote turn on (turns on the amp when the radio turns on). You'll need to hook that up to the power out from the headunit (should have one from what I remember from using JVC units before), or just hook it to the switched 12v if it doesn't.

Here: 1995 E36 Radio Wiring - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Hope that helps.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
Yes, it has an amp on the left side of the trunk behind the carpeting.

The white wire behind the radio is the remote turn on (turns on the amp when the radio turns on). You'll need to hook that up to the power out from the headunit (should have one from what I remember from using JVC units before), or just hook it to the switched 12v if it doesn't.

Here: 1995 E36 Radio Wiring - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot torque, that was it. Funny though as I was wiring it up the ifrst time and it did not work I actually applied the blue aux 12v to that white wire but the amp turn on has a delay and I did not wait long enough. If I would have been patient I would have figured it out on my own. But hey what are internet tech friends for? Again thanks, alot.

Al
Old 09-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Photos:
Glad it all worked out.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)