replaced brake light switch, still not working - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kholt is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy replaced brake light switch, still not working

hey guys,

i was getting error message "brake light failure" and drivers side brake light was not working. i checked bulbs and bulb contacts which looks good, also checked wiring through trunk hood also looked OK. so i purchased brake light switch from pelican parts and replaced today which went smoothly, but still getting error message and now neither side brake lights working.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kholt View Post
hey guys,

i was getting error message "brake light failure" and drivers side brake light was not working. i checked bulbs and bulb contacts which looks good, also checked wiring through trunk hood also looked OK. so i purchased brake light switch from pelican parts and replaced today which went smoothly, but still getting error message and now neither side brake lights working.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Kevin
At this point, I would check all my fuses......it is possible it may have blown when installing the brake switch? also check for a loose ground wire in the trunk........

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 06-13-2010 at 10:02 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
fuse is OK : (

i looked at the wire bundles in the trunk hood and they all looked OK

anything else?
#4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
fuse is OK : (

i looked at the wire bundles in the trunk hood and they all looked OK

anything else?
With a 12 volt test light, check for power at the back of the brake light, remove the bulb socket for the brake light, have somebody apply the brake & check for power at the bulb socket contact point on the light assembly......if there is no power, then check the wires behind the brake switch, check each one while pressing the brake pedal down & letting it up......you should have power at one wire constant, & power also only when applying the brakes.....on another wire.

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 06-13-2010 at 10:33 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
jb hey thanks

question...

"you should have power at one wire constant, & power also only when applying the brakes.....on another wire." i have 4 wires behind the switch - what will the other 2 be doing?

also i dont have a test bulb handy, can use a voltmeter with 9 V setting (battery tester)? it also has AC and DC settings and mAmps...

hope youre enjoying your sunday
#6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
jb hey thanks

question...

"you should have power at one wire constant, & power also only when applying the brakes.....on another wire." i have 4 wires behind the switch - what will the other 2 be doing?

also i dont have a test bulb handy, can use a voltmeter with 9 V setting (battery tester)? it also has AC and DC settings and mAmps...

hope youre enjoying your sunday
You are welcome, 3rd & fourth wires, one should be a ground.....the other not sure.......it might be an option for auto trans gear selector, for when moving from park to drive, brake pedal must be depressed.....& yes you can use a volt meter set on DC settings in the 12 volt range.....

jb

#7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
HOLY CRAP now the auto transmission will not move out of PARK - i think i actually saw a post when i was researching this that said something about the solenoid for the tranny connected to the brake switch ... do you know what happened?
#8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
HOLY CRAP now the auto transmission will not move out of PARK - i think i actually saw a post when i was researching this that said something about the solenoid for the tranny connected to the brake switch ... do you know what happened?

Dude.......are sure there are no blown fuses & the switch is installed correctly?
just to be sure, check all the fuses with your volt meter & I would recheck the brake switch......& make sure it properly set & make sure the wiring connector is secure......

It would make sense that this issue started after you installed the switch, because you did not have this problem prior.

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 06-14-2010 at 12:36 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:39 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
: )

yes all the fuses look okay

the switch instillation is fairly simple, the connector has only 1 way to snap together

maybe the new switch is bad (or wrong)

but what is with the tranny?
#10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
: )

yes all the fuses look okay

the switch instillation is fairly simple, the connector has only 1 way to snap together

maybe the new switch is bad (or wrong)

but what is with the tranny?
If the switch is faulty that would cause the trans issue, also be sure that the switch is positioned correctly.......so that button on the switch makes contact with the stop when the pedal is depressed....

#11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
this was what i saw before...

"PS The reason I had to replace my brake light switch was because my car was stuck in PARK. The selector was frozen in PARK because on the four pronged switch two prongs go to the transmission module. If that side of the switch fails the solenoid that blocks the shift linkage wont retract so you are stuck until you fix the brake light switch. FYI failure on the transmission side of the brake light switch does not give a message on the computer.

You can do a temporary fix to get the car home by pulling the gear shift lever off straight up and hard then pry up the trim plate to get at the ATM linkage. Turn on the ignition to activate the solenoid, move the selector then use a very thin piece of metal razor blade to keep the plunger in so you can get it past the Neutral indent. Just keep it in drive until you get it in your driveway."

i think the new switch may be bad...
#12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
this was what i saw before...

"PS The reason I had to replace my brake light switch was because my car was stuck in PARK. The selector was frozen in PARK because on the four pronged switch two prongs go to the transmission module. If that side of the switch fails the solenoid that blocks the shift linkage wont retract so you are stuck until you fix the brake light switch. FYI failure on the transmission side of the brake light switch does not give a message on the computer.

You can do a temporary fix to get the car home by pulling the gear shift lever off straight up and hard then pry up the trim plate to get at the ATM linkage. Turn on the ignition to activate the solenoid, move the selector then use a very thin piece of metal razor blade to keep the plunger in so you can get it past the Neutral indent. Just keep it in drive until you get it in your driveway."

i think the new switch may be bad...

Ok..........then I would try replacing it.........sucks when you get new parts that are defective........

best of luck

jb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)