replaced alternator but still flickers - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:13 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wango is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
replaced alternator but still flickers

hey guys

I figured out my car has developed unstable voltage flow.
So I replaced oem alternator with 80 amp bosch remanufactured one from pelicanparts. After replacement, I had no more flickering or blinking problem. But after 1 month, it came back

So I got another remanufactured bosch alternator from pelicanparts.
well it seemed it's gone. However, came back after 2 weeks again.

I kinda tortured pelicanparts representatives and I got another one recently. It's been 2 weeks and int/ext lights flicker again and CEL comes on/off intermittently.

I replaced belts, pulleys as well as alternator.
I'm so much frustrated. Any idea would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 04:12 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
have to ask the obvious ones , but is your battery new? or newer? , do you have soundsystem in the car? could there be a problem or have you looked into checking the voltage regulator?

#3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thnx furious

I got, of course, new battery. A sound system by previous owner has been removed when I bought her. But there are some wires left hooked up in the dash through under the center console box.

when it comes to the voltage regulator, I thought it's located in the bosch alternator. And I happened to replace alternators 3 times, so I think voltage regulators are rebuilt too.

I narrowed some possibilities but I can't still find out
#4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

92_325i is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like the battery to me. i would go get it checked out. new doesnt always mean good. the battery good have been sitting on the shelf for a while and drained some power or just defective in the first place. also, if the battery isnt fully charged when you installed the alternators, you would be doing damage to the alternator because you're forcing it to work harder right away to get the battery charged and it often times ends up frying the alternator. take your car to a parts store and ask to have the battery tested and then the alternator. both can be done while they are still in the car and it's usually free.

<a href='http://www.cardomain.com/id/jordan92bmw325i' target='_blank'>My 1992 325I</a>
<a href='http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/461648' target='_blank'>My 1989 Nissan 240sx</a>
<a href='http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=724529&cat=10&val=1&page=1' target='_blank'>My girls' 1998 Camaro</a>
#5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:13 PM
n00b

kennyl5123 is an unknown quantity at this point
i got the same problem like you. i changed two alternator and one new battery, but the voltage still unstable. When i turned on the head light, the car almost stall at idle. Do you have a 318is ? what year you have?

Kenny
#6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
IF the lights still flicker after changing the alternator and voltage regulator, the moist likely cause is the wiring. First look at the ground wire from the battery. Disconnect the wire both at the battery and where it connects to the frame and clean the connections. If the problem still persists and there is any hint of corrosion on the ground wire replace it. If the problem still persists, do the same for the positive wire. If you still have the problem, replace both the positive and negative wires from the battery if you haven't done so already in the previous steps. Sometimes these wires develop internal corrosion that is not evident from the outside. Most likely this will solve the problem, but if it doesn't the parts are cheap and it needs to be done to eliminate them as a possibility before continuing with other trouble shooting.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thnx for ur advices folks.

it's 94 325is, battery is new like 3 months old.

let me check wires from battery. let me keep posting thnx again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)