Repairing Radio Backlight? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
jbm
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jbm is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible to repair the radio backlight for the standard 95 E36 radio? My display works fine, but the backlight doesn't work, so I can only read the display in direct sunlight.

Thanks....
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
hardboiled2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine too!

Anybody ??????

Quote:
Originally posted by jbm@Dec 29 2004, 09:38 PM
Is it possible to repair the radio backlight for the standard 95 E36 radio? My display works fine, but the backlight doesn't work, so I can only read the display in direct sunlight.

Thanks....
[snapback]260667[/snapback]
hardboiled2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I'll try to fix mine sometime in the next few weeks. I will let you know how it goes. Mine is not completely out: about half the display is backlit. However, sometimes the entire display backlight starts working all of a sudden. BTW, I have the same problem with the climate control display.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
spfdfanatic is an unknown quantity at this point
This can be done on any radio if you know what you are doing with a soldering(sp?)gun!!!! The lights have just gone bad and need replaced. If you don't know what you are doing, believe it or not see if a local CB shop can do it for you, those guys are experts with a soldering gun, and usually have the lights needed!
spfdfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Kasi is an unknown quantity at this point
I just fixed this problem myself with the help of an article.

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/2002/10/radio.asp

I bought my wife a factory head unit-compatible CD changer from Crutchfield (USA Spec SCD-B2i) for X'mas, thinking the display problem was an easy fix...a bulb I could get over the counter.

I found that fixing the problem meant getting another radio, or work on the unit myself.

As in the article, there are two tiny resistors on the PC board that are involved with the display illumination that need the ends resoldered (they appeared fine, but when I used the tip of a small knive to check if they were firmly attached, the ends of two resistors broke free). They are just underneath the cassette player, towards the front of the unit.

They are accessable once the bracket with front PC board where the display is mounted [2 screws into the cassette mechanism] and the cassette mechanism [2 screws into bottom posts]are removed. The article photo gives just enough visual information to locate them.

It worked fine. No need to replace the bulbs.

It's easy and free, but there is a place in Santa Monica (forgot name, 310-396-7781) that will sell you a refurbished unit with trade-in for $200 (installation $20) .

The CD changer was mounted with stock BMW CD changer kit (with bracket and cover). Bracket mounts to pre-existing hole in rear deck with a bolt (washer, spacer)and to the side with two nuts on pre-existing posts. Over $100, but is an easy, neat installation. Bracket needs to have a mounting hole on each side to be slightly moved to accept CD changer mounting holes, no big deal - if ordering BMW OEM unit, you shouldn't have this problem.

A little work to get to the pre-wired connections in the trunk (trim panel above battery needs to be pulled back). One connector is a three pin wrapped with fabric electrical tape. It has the brown wire at the side... NOT in the middle (this is for cell phone? and may short changer). The second connector is larger, with shrink-wrapped wiring.

The head unit connecter plug was tough getting off. There is a outer piece that slides up first(make sure to continue sliding until the plastic pins completely disappear under it) then connector can be pulled straight off. It's on a little tight.

Happy New Year and Good Luck!
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1996/Z3
Photos:
dannevada is on a distinguished road
The link to fix the Radio's LED has disappeared,
anyone have a copy e.g PDF?
Or is it posted elsewhere?

thanks
dannevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
scuba840 is on a distinguished road
Dim Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannevada View Post
The link to fix the Radio's LED has disappeared,
anyone have a copy e.g PDF?
Or is it posted elsewhere?

thanks
Found the old article in the wayback machine archives:

Dim Displays - Boston Chapter BMW CCA
scuba840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)