Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go carbon fiber

• Fix the paint chips yourself

Repaint, or CF it?

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
Here's the deal - My hood is quite speckled with paint chips (to include the front facia right above the bumper, where the kidneys are). I've been considering having it repainted, but then I wonder if it would make more sense to get a CF hood instead. I'm not sure which would be cheaper (haven't really researched this at all). And I figure the CF won't chip (even if it does one wouldn't be able to tell really, right???), won't need repainting, and it would lighten the car .23 ounces (at least).

I've thought about fixing the paint chips myself, but I'd end up pratically reapinting the whole damn hood just to get the chips done. Not to include the front facia (does anyone even make a CF front facia?). What do you all think would be the better road?

#2 ·
Is your car black???

Just get it professionally repainted.... Black is an easy color to paint

#5 ·
i am getting whole bunch of cf bodyshop once i get my car back.
the reason is that those parts need to be repainted.

#6 ·
Good point Ski.

RedTape - Yes, it's Jet Black. Mmmmmmm Jet Black ...

Here's the lowdown though - I'm not just gonna paint the hood if I paint. It's the shebang. Considering I won't go withing 20 feet of a Maco, and I wouldn't accept anything but the very best, it's gonna cost me mucho dinero. Hmmmmmm, maybe I should try my hand at fixing the paint chips ....

#7 ·
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Jun 23 2003, 08:21 PM
Good point Ski.

RedTape - Yes, it's Jet Black. Mmmmmmm Jet Black ...

Here's the lowdown though - I'm not just gonna paint the hood if I paint. It's the shebang. Considering I won't go withing 20 feet of a Maco, and I wouldn't accept anything but the very best, it's gonna cost me mucho dinero. Hmmmmmm, maybe I should try my hand at fixing the paint chips ....
I have a link for you..one sec..

#10 ·
Who's the man? Ski's the man. Thanks bro. I already rpinted out some instruactions (from different sources so I can compare) on fixing chips by hand. Couple that with your link and I may be golden. I'm still considering repainting, I'm going to have to check cost on that ....

#11 ·
it's all depends on prices. can you post a pic of the hood so we can see how bad the chips are? i bet they're hardly noticeable, and i wouldn't do it yet, your car is a '98, and if i would do it, i would wait a little while longer into the future to get a new hood or repaint. doesn't a carbon fiber hood cost like 400 bucks? and a good paintjob can't be cheap, unless you can get some black spray paint and do it yourself :)

#12 ·
I'll post some pics soon (maybe today depending how I feel when I get home). It's not nice at all. I'm not really worried about it, and I know I want to eventaully repaint the whole car (by eventually I mean 2+ years down the road). The really hard part would be the front facia (where the kidney grills are) they ahve taken quite the beating (the car was mostly highway driven before I got it).

#14 ·
Here's the first pic. Driver's side:

Attachments

#15 ·
Passenger's side:

Attachments

#16 ·
Passenger's side fog light:

Attachments

#17 ·
Hood, driver's side:

Attachments

#18 ·
Hood, passenger's side:

Attachments

#19 ·
Hood, center:

Attachments

#20 ·
Passenger's side fender:

Attachments

#21 ·
Ok, so I'll need quite a bit of 'touch up' paint. Maybe a good buff/polish/cleans by fire? I agree that repaint would be the primo way to go, but it's also the most expensive. Hmmmm

#23 ·
Tell me about it. It wasn't this bad when I got it, but this past winter beat the ever loving crap out of it. Consider I commute 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, add this past winter (salt, sand, etc) and she got kicked in the teeth. Pisses me off to no end. At this point I'm thinking about getting a bra for her (I hear ya, but tough chit) until I can do something about it. Depending on how wacky I get I may actually paint it myself. My parents bought a house with a two car garage, and my old man has a generator that you can hook a paint system too (he's done this sorta stuff before). With this in mind I may just sand her down, drop some primer on, get a gallon (or so) of the color matched paint from Ski's link, and go to town. Man, what an awesome DIY THAT would be!

It's a tough choice though. I can't rationalize (read: Convince my wife) repainting the car at this stage in my 'master plan' so that really isn't much of an option (unless I hit the lotto). I can touch up some of it, but I'm still not going to be happy. Maybe re-painting the front end will be my only choice. Especially considering the paint isn't faded at all, It probably wouldn't even be noticeable. Eh, decisions decisions ...

G
#24 ·
you could repaint the hood, i repainted my 328i's hood because it was more white, then green, but the bumpers/plastic stuff is a different story, since you need special agents to let the paint flex. I had help from my uncle/cousin who restores old muscle cars. In the end, you really couldnt tell the difference between the old and the new

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.