Removing original ISO connector from BMW radio - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
juleswalker196 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Smile Removing original ISO connector from BMW radio

I have a 1996 318 tds, fitted with the original BMW Business Radio/Cassette. I have unlocked this from its DIN housing. I want to install a Becker Radio/SatNav in its place. I have tried to disconnect the ISO wiring loom from the back of this unit. The black plastic outer cover moves diagonally, but the connecting pins stay firmly rooted into the radio. Any ideas how to get this out safely and not breaking anything? Many thanks

Last edited by juleswalker196; 10-08-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
It's kinda hard to explain. There is a lock on the connector. The top middle part comes up and it has to come all the way up. Then you can pull the connector off. It can be difficult to get the lock engaged and disengaged.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Smile Removal

I asked some work colleagues to have a go, but it would not budge out of the back of the radio. So on the way home I called into an in car entertainment store, and a nice man (built like a brick outside lavatory) grabbed hold of the entire connector and pulled it out. The top edge of the sliding outside retainer broke, but it slides back and locks onto the new BMW to Becker ISO wiring loom, so all is well. When a softly softly approach does not work, use brute force!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
SatNav and radio

Just an update, I could not be bothered to hook up a speed pulse off the gearbox to the Becker, so I have got a Blaupunkt TravelPilot E1 Freestyler. This clever unit has a built in gyro so works without the speed pulse. However whilst I was pushing everything back into the ISO unit in the dash I managed to snag/foul a power lead, and the car took a dim view (literally) and I lost all the power. I had to pay a nice man £100 ($160) to sort it out, but he did and everything is running well. Moral of the story, be very careful pushing a radio unit back into the ISO slot. Why car manufacturers make these areas so small when they have half an acre of space under the front dash I do not know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)