BMW Werkz banner

Removing Heat Sheild

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kyle_baker 
#1 ·
My heat shield between the exhaust and the driveshaft has been loose for quite some time and it makes an annoying sound. So i am planning to remove the heat shield. But will that screw up my drive shaft, will the drive shaft deform due to the heat.
Just wondering if anyone else has removed there heat sheild did you guys encounter any problems.

#7 ·
I'm not quite sure where your talking about exactly, but the heatshields are there to protect NOT the metal on the driveshafts but the JOINTS if the rubber gaiters get too hot they will crack and wear sooner, also the grease inside the joints will break down sooner if it gets too hot from heat radiation from nieghbouring components. Some underfloor heatshields are there to protect your soundproofing and carpet from getting too hot as well, although in truth this will only affect the materials in "heatsoak" situations, but all the same its better to have the protection there than not.

Best regards David

#8 ·
might i suggest a few things,

one dont remove it , as mentioned above it will make your car an oven.

two, chances are its rattling because it loose where one of the bolts are attaching it. in this case try using a large washer and bolt to cover wherever the break is and or where the bolt is missing.

three, get someone to tack weld any part of the sheild you feel is possibly causing the problem.

if you want a professional to do this job, check out my mechanic in toronto..
autotrend.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Live_the_Curves@Mar 7 2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I always go to the stupid dealership only because its convient, they drop back home. Also because I have been badly ripped off by private dealerships. But this time I will give this new place a try.
[snapback]305627[/snapback]​
i agree with furious, if nothing else, leave it on and have it tack welded, remember, it's there for a reason, leave it if at all possible. just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.