remote start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 PM
LYFE SUCK5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
(Thread Starter)
remote start

do they have them for manuals also? anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:35 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
yes they do

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 PM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
(Thread Starter)
sweet. can you fine me a link?
#4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:40 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
eBay if you want to DIY! and buy a cheap kit.

or RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog if you want to pay big bucks.

#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:57 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
it's a normal starter except you have to leave your car in neutral at all times

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:58 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Ummm, manuals + cheap remote start = bad idea. Installing them in a manual requires you to bypass the neutral safety switch. The car and remote starter both dont care if the car is in gear or not. It will roll forward or backward (even with the ebrake on, I've tried it at work on a buddys accord) and damage something, someone, etc.

There are one or two that are made for manuals but they're not cheap. It takes some thinking the night before.

You pull into your driveway, put the car in neutral, set the ebrake, press the remote start (with the car running), the remote start takes over, turn off key (remote start still has the car running), get out, lock the door with the remote starter, hit the remote start button again, car dies. Now, as long as the alarm hasnt gone off, a door hasnt been opened, the remote start will fire again in the morning. The PROBLEM is its still electronic, things still fail. Most of you guys/gals are gadgetry peoples. How many electronic things have you had fail in the last 5 years. I can count a number of things. Do you want to trust your ride to a $100 p.o.s. remote start that will leap your car into your house or across the street into the neighbors S2000?

The thing is, YOU might keep your car in neutral when parking, but what happens when your wife, g/f, designated driver, whatever, leaves it in gear, and you sleepily hit the remote start in the morning only to hear a crash? I have installed about 6 manual remote starters in my 20+ year in car audio/vide/security, and 2 were on employees of the company I worked for. Both of them found their car in a different place than where they parked it. One was chasing his locked car, down the driveway, pushing the remote trying to get it shut off.

I just cant stress the issue enough about getting a good remote start and install it on a slushbox.

Whew...time to go to work now...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Da_bull = a good point. The aftermarket shop i worked in wouldn't even sell remote starts for the exact reason he quoted.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 PM
LYFE SUCK5

(Thread Starter)
well thats a turd in my pudding
#9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
5th Gear Member

e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
i heard of one man with a remote start on his lamborghini, left it in gear and it rolled away and smashed into some other vehicle (this was apparently at a meet or similar)

#10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 PM

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
meh, you might be able to take it to teh local stealership and have the remote system installed. But it's gonna cost you to have it done right.

R.I.P fast 6

#11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:56 PM
LYFE SUCK5

(Thread Starter)
f that i dont want to spend alot
#12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
You can use the automatic one ... and since BMW didn't start to utilize clutch-depressed-to-start until like 97, you just wire it like you would on an automatic.

Mind you, you'd never find me doing such a thing ... because the first time you forget to leave it in neutral, you push that button and it hops into your living room, you'll be wishing you chose to freeze your hands for a few minutes each day.

#13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull
Ummm, manuals + cheap remote start = bad idea. Installing them in a manual requires you to bypass the neutral safety switch.
On older BMWs up to late 90s, you don't have to have the clutch depressed to start them ... they'll start with it engaged, disengaged, in gear, out of gear, however you want them to. Nothing to bypass.

#14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:43 PM

^^^true, my e30 wanted to run across my moms civic one day when i forgot to take itout of gear. Course, i should have let it, b/c she had a civic...but.

R.I.P fast 6

#15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
yep, i never depress the clutch to start, i just pop it in neutral and crank her up...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)