rear strut mounts and stress bars - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
theironm0nk is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
rear strut mounts and stress bars

So I have been warned about the strut mounts ripping apart. Fortunatly I don't have this problem most people have told me to buy a rear strut bar and should prevent the problem. The problem is where should I get one? bavauto has a bavarian autosport and a racing dynamic stress bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Get some Ground Control shock mounts....

The stock rear shock towers are Ok, but the stock rear shock mounts are too small I think. They don't have a big enough surface area to distribute the load they endure under heavy use. The answer I think is to install some Ground Control rear shock mounts, they have a much broader surface area to distribute the load to the shock tower. They also use polyurethane bushings that will last the life of the car. They can also be removed from underneath the car so you don't have to pull your trunk liner out anytime you want to get at the rear shocks (adjustable Koni's ?).

Ground Control rear shock mounts

Mike
#3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Neutral Member

thinair is on a distinguished road
Just get heavier duty shock mounts, either something like Ground Control, JT Designs, etc, etc. And if the shock mount doesn't come with it, get a rear shock mount reinforment plate.

A rear strut brace does nothing on the e36's aside from take up trunk space. The rear shock mounts aren't too small at all, they're not supporting the weight of the car, just the damping loads.

Nelson Papel
1997 Madeira Violet 328is - Carbonio Intake, Racing Dynamics exhaust, fan delete, ASC delete, M50 intake manifold, M3 Cams, Eurospeed/AA software, 3.38LSD, M3 f&r brakes + MC, Bilstein PSS, Eibach swaybars, BBS RK 17x8" wheels, Toyo T1R (235/40R17) tires, Racing Dynamics K55 kit, full euro lighting, 4300k HID lows, etc..........
<a href='http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/bmw.htm' target='_blank'>Click here for more info on my car</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)