Rear sag tire rub rattle - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 07:26 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bk455 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Rear sag tire rub rattle

I guess our rear springs are subject to cracking and breaking. We had a rattle in our left rear of my 325i convertible and had it to the garage and they replaced the rear shocks three times in two years. The left rear one kept leaking after a short period of time. The garage owner finally installed oem style because the kyb's were not holding out. Something wrong here but the last set were free along with the labor. Three weeks after the new set of shocks were installed, (and the rattle was still there) i came across a set of 17" wheels with michelins on them, real nice set. I did my homework and knew the size would be close and took the chance. Put one front wheel on and it was perfect. Put one back one on and it was also good, a little closer. I then proceeded to install the other two. With the car off the jack there was plenty of clearance on all four. Caution, if you do not roll the car, the rear suspension will not find bottom. I noticed that the tires were directional and had to jack it back up and switch two of the tires for proper rotation. That is when i found a coil and a half, at least of the rear drivers side spring broken off and sitting in the perch centered in the rest of the existing coils. This has to be what was blowing out the kyb's. The car still sits perfectly level which makes me think that the passenger side must compensate and sag with the low side. The wheel that came off the passenger side had worn right down to the steel cords along the inner edge not noticeable unless you were laying on the ground looking for it. I am hoping replaceing the rear springs with stock will give me the clearance i need, but am hoping that i don't have to find a little taller spring if someone makes one. My wheels by the way, are right out even with the lip that would have to be rolled so height is crucial here, fender roll might help. I have only posted what i found and some of my opinions, but if anyone would like to let me know if i am off track here please do!!! A little long winded, but i kept it as short as possible to explain my dillemma.

Thanx,
Dennis

Last edited by bk455; 09-08-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:47 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
What size rubber are you running on those tires? I have 225-45-17 and have no clearance issues at all, and I know that is what many E36 owners run, many even 235's in teh rear wheels.

With regards to the springs: just get new springs in there. That will fix your current problems. It would be a good time to change the coils in all corners if you are tnking of going with a sportier, aftermarket setup.

#3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:03 PM
n00b

bk455 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Rear tire rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
What size rubber are you running on those tires? I have 225-45-17 and have no clearance issues at all, and I know that is what many E36 owners run, many even 235's in teh rear wheels.

With regards to the springs: just get new springs in there. That will fix your current problems. It would be a good time to change the coils in all corners if you are tnking of going with a sportier, aftermarket setup.

I am running 235-45-17 but the back set could be the issue. Will takes some pics looking down on rear fender to show how far the wheels is out to the body. These rims came off a 500 series i was told. That a problem?

Thanx,
Dennis in Rhode Island
#4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 01:39 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Oh -- WHat year 5- Series? Do you know the offset on the wheels? YOu shouldn't be running anything that is not within 35mm to 45mm offset.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)