BMW Werkz banner

Rear Brake Rattle on 323 Conv.

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sp0rky 
#1 ·
Recently bought a 98 323i Conv. Since buying it it's had an annoying rattle coming from the rear. Took the wheels off and after an hour of hitting the entire rear assembly with a rubber mallet I found that it was the inner rear pads making the noise. The breaks function fine but the inner pads are loose within there housing and so make an annoying rattle. There are no loose nuts and the brake assembly seems to be Ok. I'm unfamiliar with the e36 but on previous cars they've all has some sort of a retaining device to stop the rattle when the breaks are not being applied. A spring or clip of some sort is used. Is a similar device used on the e36 and if so why the hell is it missing from my rears? if there not supposed to have one then how do i stop the rattle? :banghead

#2 ·
I don't know about your problem but post a pic SILVOX, I have the same car!

#3 ·
If this is a grinding noise, try putting the car in neutral, rolling backwards (like on an incline) at about 1-3 mph, and swiftly hitting the handbrake. Other than that, I have no idea. That fixes a scraping noise at the back wheels on my car), but when I use the handbrake again, say on a downward hill and the wheels rotate forward a bit (when I let off the front brakes whiel parking), the scraping noise will sometimes return.

#4 ·
nope... no grinding noise

I had the same problem!

i went to the parts store, spent $27 and bought a new set of rear brake pads. problem solved

the clips in the back ar supposed to stop if from rattling. but when some "mechanics" install them, they break the clips off in the process. Make sure you put the grease on the clips before you replace them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.