Rear Bearing Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
expliziten is on a distinguished road
Rear Bearing Help

So my rear right wheel bearinghasgone bad. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so i figured i'd save a few bucks and do it myself. I did the front ones about a month ago and they went very smoothly. However the from all the postsi have read on this site i see that the rears seem a little more difficult. I'm not able to take it to a shop at the time being so i am looking for some DIY help. I already have the bearing and a new retaining nut. I have bearing pullers and access to a press. Will i need anything else? I heard something about the retaining bolts for the drive axle connecting in to the differential needing to be replaced when removed...? Any advice on the operation? step by step instructions? right now i have the brakes and retaining nut off, next step is axle removal looking for some general help Thanks guys
expliziten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
I did not replace the bolts when I replaced mine on my old 318i. You should be good to go. You don't have to disconnect the axles from the diff to do the procedure. If you are in a "shop" environment or resourceful they can be held up and left connected to the diff.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thats what i was thinking, My manual was telling me to drop it from the diff. but from what i could see i couldn't figure out why i couldn't just do it all with out taking it off the diff. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I am trying to use a slide hammer right now to pull off the drive flange any ideas or suggestions about that anyone? It seems pretty stuck. Thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
CJH
n00b

Car:
Photos:
CJH is on a distinguished road
Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement: In Progress and Trying to Document with Pics - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

More detailed DIY from another board.
CJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
CJH
n00b

Car:
Photos:
CJH is on a distinguished road
Additional info, some guys have reported a LocTite like material on the axle splines. Makes pulling hub very difficult. If you were able to hammer your axle through the hub (toward the differential), you're OK. If the axle is not moving in the hub, apply heat to melt the LocTite. Then put some ass into the slide hammer. Be careful with those devils, many years ago, I got 30 stitches in my hand when the hammer snapped off the slide (big slide hammer).
CJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)