Rattling Noise When I Hit Bumps - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 01:14 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
blackm is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
i know the topic posted before me is talking about a noise but this noise happens when i hit small bumps its like someon is there with a tin can tapping it, and when i hit the brakes it stops

any ideas? i honestly dont even wanna drive the car it sounds like a p.o.s

help please! ghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 01:19 PM
n00b

hope42100 is an unknown quantity at this point
If the sound it coming from the rear of the car i would check the shock mounts
#3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 01:23 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
sounds like its comin to the front........
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 04:08 PM
n00b

windy3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by blackm@Apr 20 2005, 01:14 PM
i know the topic posted before me is talking about a noise but this noise happens when i hit small bumps its like someon is there with a tin can tapping it, and when i hit the brakes it stops

any ideas? i honestly dont even wanna drive the car it sounds like a p.o.s

help please! ghead
[snapback]335474[/snapback]
I had a similar problem when I hit bumps, the noise you describe was coming from under the car turned out to be my emergency brake pads were all busted up had all that fixed and the noise was gone. the emergency brake did work but not very well
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 PM
n00b

sto150 is an unknown quantity at this point
My '97 328i has a rattle from the heat sheild on the exhaust that comes and goes. That would be worth looking at as a possible cause. Its a little behind the driver and its a tin material. I haven't figured out how to weld/crimp/fix the lose sheild yet.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Neutral Member

benji84 is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/index.php...33920&hl=rattle

check out this post, i had (and still have) a sound coming from the back of my car that might be related to yours. In this post some they talk about the breaks and how someone found there problem like yours in there breaks.

<span style='font-family:Times'>1994 325is 5-speed 129,000 and strong</span>

<span style='font-family:Times'>Conforti Cold-Air Intake Kit</span>
#7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

njtech is an unknown quantity at this point
check the stabilizer end links. did you have the brakes serviced recently? Possible that the pads are "jumping" in the caliper mount.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:50 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
maybe i should just take it to a place and have it looked at as far as the brakes?? cause it does stop when i hit the brakes over bumps
#9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
i have the rattle when driving over bumps also, but i also have another rattle......it started a little while back and i used to only hear it when i would hit water standing in the road but i heard it today on a gravel road also. It sounds liek its coming from the drives side right where the passengers window is. anyone have any ideas? maybe in tire well or something.....actually its starting to sound more and more like it might be the emergency brake pads.....they are seperate from the abs pads, correct? anyone have a DIY to check the emergency brakes or some way to confirm is this is them rattling. I hate rattling things and what not. drives me crazy, please help. thanx in advanced.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 AM
n00b

TR328i is an unknown quantity at this point
does the rattle go away when you pull the emergency brake for one or two clicks? Do that and drive slowly over a rough road and see if the noise go away. If it does it is probably the rear or emergency brake cable a little loose. I had a similar problem that drove me insane. I tied the brake cable to the rear control arm with a tape and the noise is gone. Give it a try.
Note: the catalytic converter shield rattle is heat dependent (it comes and goes when the car is warming up). The catalytic converter internal rattle is constant (and would cause your check engine light to come on).
Hope this help.
#11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Quote:
Originally posted by sto150@Apr 20 2005, 08:33 PM
My '97 328i has a rattle from the heat sheild on the exhaust that comes and goes. That would be worth looking at as a possible cause. Its a little behind the driver and its a tin material. I haven't figured out how to weld/crimp/fix the lose sheild yet.
[snapback]335747[/snapback]
I have that same problem with my car - I'm taking it to my mechanic (because I can't jack my car up high enough to get under there properly, so I'm using a lift), and hammering some metal shims in. This should take maybe a couple seconds (not including driving the car in and getting it in the lift and finding some shims that work well). Cheap that way. If you go the more expensive and imo probably a bit more permanent fix, just get it welded. Should take not more than 20 minutes: but you'll have to pay them for half an hour of labor which would suck balls.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally posted by TR328i@May 3 2005, 11:04 PM
does the rattle go away when you pull the emergency brake for one or two clicks? Do that and drive slowly over a rough road and see if the noise go away. If it does it is probably the rear or emergency brake cable a little loose. I had a similar problem that drove me insane. I tied the brake cable to the rear control arm with a tape and the noise is gone. Give it a try.
Note: the catalytic converter shield rattle is heat dependent (it comes and goes when the car is warming up). The catalytic converter internal rattle is constant (and would cause your check engine light to come on).
Hope this help.
[snapback]340681[/snapback]
this sounds very much like the emergency brake thing then. i was going to try it today but it didn't rattle on the gravel roads around here. it usually rattles on water standing in the road so next time it rains i will test this. Could you please explain where the emergency brake cable is at so i can get down and find it? thanks
#13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 06:57 PM
n00b

Unhappy

Over Water? used I have no idea what water has to do with the rattle
Anyway, the brake cable that was causing the rattle in mine is on the rear passenger side. It goes right to the disc brake.
#14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok, i will check this out tomorrow then, thanx
#15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 PM
n00b

How does the rattle sound like exactly? Is it metalic? is it loud like a clunck? or is it more like a creak? There are so many possibilities including something in the passenger door such as loose panel or dried hinges and latches. It could be coming from the passenger window (drive the car with the window down or up). If the noise coming from dried door moldings or old door hinges, a simple test you can do is close the passenger door and from the outside of the car, push down on the door and see if you hear a noise. If the noise is more like a clunck, it is probably a worn or damaged trailing arm bushing (very common on e36). This is something you can easily chech yourself by jacking the rear of the car and inspecting the bushing. It could also be coming from the catalytic converter heat shield or the large thin heat shield covering the entire exhaust system (small stones and dirt get trapped on the top of the shield).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)