BMW Werkz banner

Rattle While Cornering

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jetski 
#1 ·
Hey, Got a 92 325is and when I am corning to the right I hear a rattle coming from the driver's rear. Now I first notice it on the race track at a school when doing hard corning to the right. I can get the car to do the same on the street on an offramp while driving aggressivly. It's not the rear shock mounts cause it doesn't make any noise during regular driving. I also had it up on a hoist today and looked at the rear sway bar end links and sway bar bushings but they where all fine. I also looked at the spring and it's not cracked. My car also has a limited slip diff. Any suggestion where the noise is coming from and what might be the problem? Thanks

#2 ·
its a hard guess could be virtually anything.. could be rear trial arm bushings , ball joiints, broken sping end, loose bolt somewhere, etc etc... because you track your car, or have tracked it the forces you put on the car couuld cause anything to really blow.

investigate further , or try to isolate and update us.

#4 ·
if your nuts, run a laptop wtih a webcam mounted under the car looking at the suspinsion components and get a buddy to study it while your driving. I did this with a wireless vid camera and TV + 800W inverter. That was some cool stuff.

I hope it's not subframe failure....

#5 ·
I'm surprised no one has said its probably the Rear Shock Mount... unless I missed it.... best way to check this... take trunk panel out on that side.. it just pulls out easy.. and goes back in easy... take that out... then you will see your RSM... have someone gently press down on that side of the car.. and if your shock moves up and down.. its time to replace that sucker.... do a little search on this forum about RSMs and you will find plenty of info... Good Luck

Les

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.