Rather Ironic - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nobrakese36 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nobrakese36
(Thread Starter)
Rather Ironic

SO I RECENTLY BOUGHT A DINAN CHIP FOR MY 318IS, BEFORE WE BEGIN LETS START WITH A STORY, a while ago my car went into a car wash running and came out leaking fuel, didnt fnow about this problem, so it turns out that the ECU was fried, i went on ebay and found a ECU bought it for 64.00, i had to clean up my manifold and combustion chamber of gas not to mention the oil was flooded with fuel, while after all that the car was fine and smoother, little faster, i realized that i could rev pass 6300rpm, didnt think much, so today when i was installing the Dinan Chip i had the current ECU apart and discovered that there was a DINAN chip already installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so who wants a DINAN chip for the ECu # that ends with 900, there is only one that ends with that number, im thinking 85 dollars shipped, USA OF COURSE!! EMAIL ME AT NOBRAKESE28@YAHOO.COM , heres youre chance to score it, i bought the dinan chip off ebay it comes with instructions!!!:lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

bimmerboy328i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bimmerboy328i
Wow, went into a car wash. You should fell ashamed.

- 97 M52 Beast - Vortech V-1 Supercharger Setup - Dinan Software - 28.8lb Injectors - 9psi - ZKW's - OEM Clears - DoubleSpoke II's - OEM M3 Spoiler - OEM M3 Front Bumper - 20% Tint - CCFL Angel Eyes - 6K Xtec HIDs in ZKWs - 6k H1 based D2S HID's in Foglights - Bilstein Sport Shocks - Eibach Sportline Springs - Cosmos Racing CAI - M50 Manifold Swap - UUC Motorwerks SystemU Exhaust - Fan Delete - 3.15 LSD -
#3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

nobrakese36 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nobrakese36
(Thread Starter)
sadly, it happened abought a week after i bought my car, that hyundai quality sh#t never happened in my e28 535is, well i still love my e36
#4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I drive through the carwash often. I am not ashamed. My car is simply an object -- a consumable.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

topless_328 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
I drive through the carwash often. I am not ashamed. My car is simply an object -- a consumable.
Com'on now.....lets not say things we don't mean.....:P

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mike

-Automotive Engineer in Training-
#6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:50 AM
n00b

StokeM3Rep is on a distinguished road
Simple as Car was is stupid idead my mother drove my car through the carwash and fried the ecu cost alot to get it fixed so it always gets handwashed now. This seams to be a farely common problem car should have come with a warning lol "WARNING Lazy bastards dont use carwash :P"

#7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 07:55 AM
2nd Gear Member

mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to go through the carwash but each time i came out my car would shutter and well just die, driving at 4k revs perfectly and they just dropped no power and wouldnt kick over "think it was the destributor cable"
so use a bit of elbow greece and show that the car means alot to you
#8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Redbullrr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese36
SO I RECENTLY BOUGHT A DINAN CHIP FOR MY 318IS, BEFORE WE BEGIN LETS START WITH A STORY, a while ago my car went into a car wash running and came out leaking fuel, didnt fnow about this problem, so it turns out that the ECU was fried, i went on ebay and found a ECU bought it for 64.00, i had to clean up my manifold and combustion chamber of gas not to mention the oil was flooded with fuel, while after all that the car was fine and smoother, little faster, i realized that i could rev pass 6300rpm, didnt think much, so today when i was installing the Dinan Chip i had the current ECU apart and discovered that there was a DINAN chip already installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so who wants a DINAN chip for the ECu # that ends with 900, there is only one that ends with that number, im thinking 85 dollars shipped, USA OF COURSE!! EMAIL ME AT NOBRAKESE28@YAHOO.COM , heres youre chance to score it, i bought the dinan chip off ebay it comes with instructions!!!:lol:
Hey I have a 96 318IS will this fit? Intrested, in this hit me back at RedbullRR@hotmail.com
#9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
interesting, i run my car through the car wash when its too cold out to hand wash, never had any problems with the ecu so far tho! kind of scary tho, i think i might start hand washing in the cold

although, we could all just fix this problem by removing the plastic peice and that foam stuff that seals off the ecu and putting a seal of silicon around it then put it back on, that way no water would get inside! i think i will do that when it warms up. Easy enough for anyone to do, then on those cold icey days we can still go through the car wash to get that danged salt off the paint, lol.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 02:47 PM
4th Gear Member

93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
some people cover the ECU with a plastic bag for reassurance. ANd for those of you who dont realize going to those automatic car washes are the worst thing you can do to your paint.. they recycle and filter the water and those filters let shit through so it's high pressure washing with bits of rocks and salt and what not.

Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
#11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Redbullrr is on a distinguished road
Hey Just out of Curiosity, where is the ECU. You guys got me all paranoid now about washing my car.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:07 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullrr
Hey Just out of Curiosity, where is the ECU. You guys got me all paranoid now about washing my car.
Under the hood passenger's side, right below the windshield. The foam backing, and plastic screws that cover the ECU port is prone to rotting and it's an E36 common problem with excessive water being sprayed in that area. Check your foam, and make sure everything looks cool...you'll be fine. When it's cold as balls....I run it through the automated washer.

#13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:39 AM
4th Gear Member

93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
damn.. and i thought u guys were enthusiasts... j/k. I got a nice soft cleaning brush on a stick for the winter washings. That way my hands never touch the water.

Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)