Random ignition failure - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 07:08 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sovetcke is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Random ignition failure

I am sorry that this is my first post on the forum... but i have to get to the point...

Car shuts down while driving approximately once every 24 hours so far (1 week so far)

today on my way to work it did,

I uploaded a video of what's happening when i turn the key, since maybe i can't exactly explain due to my english fail, it just won't ignite.

20130829 091813 - YouTube

last time it did this a battery reset fixed it, but this time I tried to disconnect the Battery for 10 minutes, then 20 minutes, and still won't run.

So after trying with the battery and nothing... i opened the fuel pump, removed both of the electrical cables on it, and plugged them back in, and voila, car running again.

This might be that or that's just pure luck, i now have 2 options to get the car running again, either the fuel pump plugs, or just waiting half an hour for it to run again, i can't really narrow it down so far...

I have disconnected the alarm immobilizer, and mechanically checked the car , and analyzed it in a BMW electrician shop through a computer, no fault codes appeared.

What could this be?

My mechanic (who's not an electrician) is recommending me to replace the car computer and the Crank Sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

David Mc is on a distinguished road
I could not hear whether the car cranks when you tried to start it, but here is a list of some possible causes:-
1. If the problem began after rain or washing the car and it is a pre-1996 E36, the DME is prone to malfunctioning due to water ingress. Read this article and it will help to determine if this is the problem and how to fix it Pelican Technical Article: BMW DME Motronic ECU Swap / Repair
2. Bad Fuel Pump or DME relay
3. Clogged fuel filter
#3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 PM
n00b

Sovetcke is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks bro, im not sure what do u mean exactly if it cranks but it does all the sounds u hear but no ignition
As if there is a dead battery or no fuel pump...

I changed the fuel filter and it was clogged... same day I went home it shut down, tried a battery restart and nogood

Then I unplugged and replugged the fuel pump cables and it started, dunno if thats just a coincidence

Since that day its been 2 weeks and the car did not shut down. Can u make anything from the situation ?

Thanks in advance
#4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

David Mc is on a distinguished road
The DME relay controls power to the starter, ignition system and fuel pump. The fuel pump relay controls power to the fuel pump. If the starter motor turns when you turn the key, but the engine will not start, try replacing the fuel pump relay. If the starter will not run, check the DME relay. Make sure you check the battery cable connections before you begin - not just at the battery but also at the ground connection points on the body as this is often the source of electrical problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)