Raising Rear A Bit With Stock Springs - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mostwired is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I need to raise the rear a bit. I have Sachs shocks and stock springs, and plan to stay with these. I recently put 255/40R17 tires in the back, and they rub. I rolled the fenders (and the f*** paint cracked on the underside of each fender a bit), but still there's some minor rubbing when I go over potholes, dead bodies, etc. I heard you can put a spacer under the spring to lift the car a bit. Anyone has done it? I need pointers. DIY or better to take it to the shop, and how much?
mostwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
I'm looking into doing the same thing, but to the front. Front what I understand it is not hard to do at all. Once I have the time, prolly not till around easter, I am going to make some spacers and put them upfront. So far I have not any where that will sell you spacers. If you find a place let me know. If not good luck, I've not really looked into making them yet, but it couldn't be too bad.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
255?????? that seems really wide??? really really wide. did you offset them or are the fronts the same? if you raise the rear up with spacers, check the application of your shocks because it is very likely they will max out when the car bounces and break them because the travle is too long for the shock.

your best bet is to get a thinner tire. but if you want to drive like a muscle car then you need to roll the fenders even more. use a heat gun to heat up the paint a bit so it wont crack so bad, but dont burn it.
225 40/17 is a good size.

btw/ you do realise the more you offset your tires the more you will destroy the handling and turning of your car. offset tires are not a great idea on bimmers...
raising it up is also not another great idea. bite the bullet and do it right. get new tires. it will save you alot in the future.
Speedy-325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedy-325is@Jan 7 2005, 10:42 PM
255?????? that seems really wide??? really really wide. did you offset them or are the fronts the same? if you raise the rear up with spacers, check the application of your shocks because it is very likely they will max out when the car bounces and break them because the travle is too long for the shock.

your best bet is to get a thinner tire. but if you want to drive like a muscle car then you need to roll the fenders even more. use a heat gun to heat up the paint a bit so it wont crack so bad, but dont burn it.
225 40/17 is a good size.

btw/ you do realise the more you offset your tires the more you will destroy the handling and turning of your car. offset tires are not a great idea on bimmers...
raising it up is also not another great idea. bite the bullet and do it right. get new tires. it will save you alot in the future.
[snapback]266693[/snapback]
good call speedy, I forgot he still had stock springs.. still might be doable...
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
Quote:
Originally posted by thekid@Jan 7 2005, 11:59 PM

good call speedy, I forgot he still had stock springs.. still might be doable...
[snapback]266729[/snapback]
doable.......;ast week when i was in Florida with my girl, I saw a 80-something Buick with 26inch rims!!!!! no BS, 26's!!!! WTF cant even explain..............the car had to be lifted 9 inches by a custom shop before they could mount the wheels!!!!! and it was not the only one i saw like it!!!!
i never knew just how "dirty" the south has become!!!!

moral: just cuz its doable.......doesn't mean you should do it!

that is all.
Mark
Speedy-325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)