BMW Werkz banner

Radio Stopped Working

19K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jshearer 
#1 ·
Just recently, my radio stopped turning on. I checked the fuses, but they were okay. I went ahead and replaced them just in case, but it didn't work. The night before, I had replaced a fuse for the blower (which is why I thought I might have blew the radio fuse as well), and before that, a door panel was replaced. These are the only things that have happened most recently before my radio stopped working (I doubt there is a connection between the radio and these two things). I don't know what to do to fix it. Does anyone know what I should do? Do I have to take out the radio and check connections? If so, is there a site that will walk me through this? Thank you!

#2 ·
DOes the radio turn on at all? I've had my radio seemengly powering up, but yet no sound would come out of the speakers. In many cases, the solder joints of one or more components inside the radio unit have been severed. This happens with time; the culprit is thermal expansion/compression. However, first check the wiring harnesses, since these also suffer from wear and tear after a few years. Anything in this area should be obvious. Run a search in this site and or Google for help from people with the same/similar problem. Good luck.

#3 ·
If you end up having to get the stock deck out to work on the back of it, there are two little plastic tabs that will flip open on each side of the deck. There are screws behind these tabs, there are neither allen wrenches or a standard screw driver. It is a special tool that you can find at the BMW dealership or if you go to a stereo shop and ask really nice they can take the screws out for you.

#6 ·
Sounds like your radio is shot. Try hooking up somebody else's before you decide to throw your current one away. It doesn't even have to be a stock radio. All you need is to check if the wiring is working. Get a radio and a connector kit from Wal-Mart or Best Buy and then take them back.

#7 ·
Oh yeah and you are supposed to have the tool to remove the radio, but you can just try some different size allen wrenches that i show i removed mine. As i remember though both sides used different sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.