Radio Code Missing;dealer Won't Co-operate! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2004, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
UsedRomance3 is an unknown quantity at this point
ghead I have a 1996 328i with no radio code, got no manual,etc. went to the dealer they said it would cost me more for them to pull the radio out then it would for me to just go and buy another radio somewhere else. Is this a simple procedure or should I just wait til the battery has to get disconnected and then go buy another radio then?? If anyone has step by step directions on how to pull the radio to get the number I would appreciate it thnx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2004, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Wow, your dealer sounds like a bunch of idiots.

Pulling the radio will take all of 3minutes. Without a manual, your only hope is that someone wrote the code on the top of the radio itself. To remove the radio....

1. Locate the small flaps on each side of the radio about half way down each side.

2. Peel the flaps back to expose an 8mm hex bolt.

3. Using the aforementioned sized hex wrench unscrew these screws until the radio slides right out.

That's it. Reinstall in reverse, and hope the code is on the radio...Good Luck!!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, it is easy. But depending on the dealer, they may charge you just to give you the code. When I first got my car, I went to get the radio code form the dealer just in case I had to disconnect the battery for some reason.

I handed the service rep the number off the radio. He informed me there was a $25 charge just for the code. I said no thanks and I would buy a new radio before I gave them $25 for me pulling the radio out and just giving them some numbers.

As I walked into the lot of the dealer, he ran out with the code on a piece of paperand gave it to me. Apparently his supervisor was in the room and many reps there feel foolish asking for $25 for what takes 5 seconds to retrieve. I thanked him and went on my way. I since have installed a new satellite cd/ receiver.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
UsedRomance3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Fadec40@Oct 23 2004, 08:58 AM
Yea, it is easy. But depending on the dealer, they may charge you just to give you the code. When I first got my car, I went to get the radio code form the dealer just in case I had to disconnect the battery for some reason.

I handed the service rep the number off the radio. He informed me there was a $25 charge just for the code. I said no thanks and I would buy a new radio before I gave them $25 for me pulling the radio out and just giving them some numbers.

As I walked into the lot of the dealer, he ran out with the code on a piece of paperand gave it to me. Apparently his supervisor was in the room and many reps there feel foolish asking for $25 for what takes 5 seconds to retrieve. I thanked him and went on my way. I since have installed a new satellite cd/ receiver.
[snapback]216655[/snapback]
Old 10-24-2004, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: Needs momentum
Photos:
theruss1an1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to theruss1an1
I got mine done for free. I dont see why the dealers would have to charge for that...
Old 10-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Go to a different dealer around town.. either that or do what the above posts state...

Good Luck...

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1992 BMW 735i
Photos:
iamhoagie is on a distinguished road
There is a way to have the radio display it's serial number without pulling it. If you need it let me know. But it is easy to pull the radio. I called a local dealer today and told him I disconnected my battery and when I went to start the car again my radio asked me for a code and when I put in the wrong code the radio locked up just displaying code wait. He told me how to unlock it ie. put the ignition in accessory position with the radio off for one hour. Then he asked me for the serial number on the radio. I gave it to him and one min. later he gave me the 5 digit unlock code and that was all over the phone.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Thread from 2004

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)