Radiator Mystery - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 2002 BMW 745Li
Photos:
Eraj is hated around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to Eraj
Tried changing radiator coolant yesterdy, but the stupid stuff wants to stay in! Warmed the car and took out the drain plug, just a trickle for 30 seconds and then NOTHING!!! Removed the filler cap, NOTHING! put everything back and drove the car for 10 minutes, removed drain plug..NOTHING!!! Finally unhooked the hoses and managed to get most of it off, still it took only 6 litres of new coolant, and the manual says 10.5. (yes...removed the bleeder valve) The temp gauge was right in the middle as usual. No overheating probs before or after. (just drove the car 44 k to work)

The last time I changed it, just took the drain plug out and the rad had a massive orgasm, not anymore. You think she's getting kinda old?

Me baffled....any help appreciated.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
DesmoBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Eraj@Apr 7 2005, 01:42 AM
Tried changing radiator coolant yesterdy, but the stupid stuff wants to stay in! Warmed the car and took out the drain plug, just a trickle for 30 seconds and then NOTHING!!! Removed the filler cap, NOTHING! put everything back and drove the car for 10 minutes, removed drain plug..NOTHING!!! Finally unhooked the hoses and managed to get most of it off, still it took only 6 litres of new coolant, and the manual says 10.5. (yes...removed the bleeder valve) The temp gauge was right in the middle as usual. No overheating probs before or after. (just drove the car 44 k to work)

The last time I changed it, just took the drain plug out and the rad had a massive orgasm, not anymore. You think she's getting kinda old?

Me baffled....any help appreciated.

Thanks
[snapback]327368[/snapback]
sounds like you have corrosion sediment clogging the drain hole. you could try cleaning the system with prestone super flush.
also remember that you have a coolant drain plug on the passenger side of the engine block.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 2002 BMW 745Li
Photos:
Eraj is hated around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to Eraj
Thank you. I didn't realize there was a drain plug in the engine block. I think I'm going to flush the system with a good cleaner to open up the clogged drain hole first. Thanks for the info.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)