radiator blew today - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tico481 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tico481 Send a message via MSN to tico481
well I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden my check engine light pops up and i look over only to see the temp light is on and running hot. I pull over in the turning lane and all of a sudden i hear this loud pop and radiator fluid shoots all over my car. Im waiting on the tow truck to bring my car home as I type this. I'm glad this happened now instead of this weekend cause that would have sucked since Im driving my car to go on vacation.

- //M3 Spoiler
- 15% Tinted Windows
- Front License Plate Delete

If I say something stupid, it's probably cause I'm ripped
tico481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Sucks dude. Sorry to hear that.

Guys, they say to replace the rad. every 60K as the coolant system is a trouble spot for the e36
Old 08-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
yeah, the coolant that was spewing out was dark brown....can't be good

- //M3 Spoiler
- 15% Tinted Windows

Old 08-03-2004, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
The coolant system is only a troubled spot for e36s because people dont understand coolant and how it works with a BMW. There is a FAQ in the FAQ forum that helps. Good luck and sorry to hear that.... just had my water pump blow last Saturday.. I feel your pain.. as I was about to go on vacation with my car of course this weekend.

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Did you get all the little pieces? You might want to pull the heater core and scrape that shit out.

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 98 M3
Photos:
KingScare is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to KingScare
Are there any signs that I can check??

We bought the ride at like 47000 kliks and I think the previous owner had done a replacement...

but is there anything i can do to prevent that from happening to my ride?
KingScare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by KingScare@Aug 3 2004, 09:45 PM
Yes, you can check the FAQ section for trouble areas (water pump, radiator, thermostat, housing, etc.).

As stated above, BMW recomends changing the radiator every 60K miles and the water pump as well.

If you have a pre 95 car, I would change your water pump with one with a metal impeller. You may get varying opinions on this, but I am convinced this is the better of the two systems (the other having a plastic impeller).
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan+Aug 3 2004, 10:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jllphan @ Aug 3 2004, 10:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KingScare@Aug 3 2004, 09:45 PM
Yes, you can check the FAQ section for trouble areas (water pump, radiator, thermostat, housing, etc.).

As stated above, BMW recomends changing the radiator every 60K miles and the water pump as well.

If you have a pre 95 car, I would change your water pump with one with a metal impeller. You may get varying opinions on this, but I am convinced this is the better of the two systems (the other having a plastic impeller). [/b][/quote]
you actually can't buy a plastik impeller system any more. They don't exist.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
I was saying you should change over to a metal impeller equiped pump as opposed to leaving the oem plastic impeller equiped unit in.

Both can blow up, they just do so in different ways. That is why you get varying opinions...
Old 08-03-2004, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
so my 95 has a metal impeller in it?

- //M3 Spoiler
- 15% Tinted Windows

Old 08-03-2004, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
RedBeemer95 is an unknown quantity at this point
My 95 325i (is now 71k) has the water pump (all the cooling system) replaced at 65k i.e last year Jun 03 by the previous owner. I bought this car a month ago and now it has the same leakage problem due to the water pump (figured by the mechanic on the pressure test). But as I heard its not very often that we replace the water pump. So, do i need to consider any other options or just replace the water pump(as suggested by the mechanic) and see how it goes?
RedBeemer95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
Maybe, tough to say. BMW used both for a while. If you want to be sure, change it. I would say this is worth while preventive maintenance.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)