Question on installing lowering kit?????? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325IConvertible is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325IConvertible
(Thread Starter)
Question on installing lowering kit??????

Well the time is finally here and everything has finished coming in today from Turner motorsport.... We are lowering the Bimmer !!!!!!! I am going with H&R Sport Springs , struts and and Konis plus the mounting kit and to finish it off I decided to replace the front and rear sway bars for body roll. I have done this once before as in lowering a Car but that was on my Vette. I'm not real big and familiar with the strut package and all but always ready for a challenge and learn new things. First off what am I expecting as in tools that are needed for this job ? Also how long would you say this is going to take and which is usually easier the front or the back ?
A buddy of mine has a spring compressor so I will be getting it this Thursday that should help. Any info would be gladly excepted that you may be willing to offer...... TY

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I did a simple write up that expects a little bit of mechanical know how. This will give you the general idea. It is focused on the struts and only lacks the removal of the rear springs, but a 5 year old could safely remove the rear springs of this car. With some know how and not pushing it you can expect 4 hours of labor for the springs and struts.

hope it helps.

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/mai...pics-9353.html
#3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
this should help

do a search as well it has been discussed on here before

Pelican Technical Article: E36 Performance Suspension/Lowering Your BMW

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for the info !

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
#5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 PM
n00b

Rgomez87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rgomez87
325iconvertable Two main tools you need are an impact wrench and a coil compressor tool. You can rent the coil compressore at a local advanced auto parts store for about $50 and then they return your money once you return the tool. then if i remember correctly you need an 18mm socket for the three bolts and nuts on the bottom of the strut, and a 14mm on top of the strut. The rear if im not mistaken are also 18mm. Also air tools save lifes. Took me and a buddy a good two hours and a half to install it. Also i almost forgot in the middle of the strut there is a hook up to the sway bar (i think) But if u try to remove that bolt it will just spin in place, you have to go behind it and pull back the rubber seal and with a wrench( i used an adjustable) to hold it in place. The rear is very easy shouldnt take you longer then 30 minutes to complete. Goodluck and i hope i wasnt too late with the post.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
you don't need an impact wrench, it's just nice to have

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Your struts won't have the sway bar tabs unless they continued them on the verts. They were on E36's up 1/2 through 92 I believe and only continued on the M3's that I know of.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgomez87
325iconvertable Two main tools you need are an impact wrench and a coil compressor tool. You can rent the coil compressore at a local advanced auto parts store for about $50 and then they return your money once you return the tool. then if i remember correctly you need an 18mm socket for the three bolts and nuts on the bottom of the strut, and a 14mm on top of the strut. The rear if im not mistaken are also 18mm. Also air tools save lifes. Took me and a buddy a good two hours and a half to install it. Also i almost forgot in the middle of the strut there is a hook up to the sway bar (i think) But if u try to remove that bolt it will just spin in place, you have to go behind it and pull back the rubber seal and with a wrench( i used an adjustable) to hold it in place. The rear is very easy shouldnt take you longer then 30 minutes to complete. Goodluck and i hope i wasnt too late with the post.

No that wasnt to late of a post at all this is what I was wanting thanks a lot... I dont think it will be hard at all I have done this before with domestic vehicles but im new to the Strut thing !!!!!!!! shouldnt be to hard Thanks !

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
#9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
n00b

Rgomez87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rgomez87
i know what you mean. With my SS you just lower the lower control arm and the coil pops right out. When i first did struts was on my buddies Mini S, and i was like wow. But with the right tools and some minor skills in mechanics anyone can do it. So goodluck and post some pictures of the finished project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)