A question for El Presidente - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
El President,
Let me start by saying I have read a lot of your posts, and seen a buynch of your how to's posted to various other sites. You bring a lot to the table. I also appreciate the fact that you are not shy about saying when you don't know something, and urge people to confirm things themselves. But there is one thing that I HAVE to ask... I agree wire connecters suck, and they only work sometimes, and you advise folks to cut away the insulation and wrap the wire to be joined around the wire you stripped the isnulation from and TAPE!!!! it How come you dont just spend like 20 seconds with a soldering iron and make sure that you never have a problem with that connection? You are 90 percent of the way there with what you are doing .... Is it just pure laziness? You often comment that you are lazy.... It just seems odd that you have all these great ideas, spend so much time helping others out with tons of write ups and such and then use the twist and tape method... whqts up with that man? ghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
You make a valid point. My problem is location.

With the exception of where I live now, which is temporary, I would need at least a 100ft extention cord to operate a soldering iron.

My apartment in LR had no external power outlets, and I doubt my apartment in Hempstead will have them either, where I will also be living on the third floor.

Also whenever possible I use the liquid e-tape, which is 100x better than regular for what i do with it.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Aug 17 2004, 11:05 AM
You make a valid point. My problem is location.

With the exception of where I live now, which is temporary, I would need at least a 100ft extention cord to operate a soldering iron.

My apartment in LR had no external power outlets, and I doubt my apartment in Hempstead will have them either, where I will also be living on the third floor.

Also whenever possible I use the liquid e-tape, which is 100x better than regular for what i do with it.
Gotcha.... check out one of theses products then problem solved (unless you have to worry about burning your head liner or something like that. i have both types and they are awesome when you dont have access to an outlet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=42099

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=39440

Just a thought ..
#4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
I actually have a cigar lighter than heats to those same temps, and have been told that could solder too. I don't trust myself with a flame though, since you can't see most of flame. I have considered buying a "cold heat" gun, but im skeptical of anything thats "as seen on tv".

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:03 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Aug 17 2004, 11:39 AM
I actually have a cigar lighter than heats to those same temps, and have been told that could solder too. I don't trust myself with a flame though, since you can't see most of flame. I have considered buying a "cold heat" gun, but im skeptical of anything thats "as seen on tv".
yeah i would be pretty sketch to i mean they would giv eyou like for of them for 19.95 like they do everything else! tape works haha but sodering is better! thats why having a nice big shop is sooo nice!

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)