Question about springs! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:45 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
erickbotic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to erickbotic Send a message via Yahoo to erickbotic
(Thread Starter)
Question about springs!

this guy is selling me the front sport package springs from a 1993 BMW 325 he says "they are the lowest and stiffest these springs are shorter than some E36 M3 springs.." is this true??

the BMW Part# 31-33-1-138-353

anyone knows how much of a drop it would give me?? i have 17' rims on my car and still the stock springs i hate the look i want it lower atleast 1.5 or just the e36 m3 look so does anyone knows?

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:06 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
dont buy them, sport springs arent as good as M3 springs, they arent lower or stiffer, Mtech springs are the exact same springs as M3 springs, so really hes not cant be selling you anything better than an used set of M3 springs, if you want a to go to a 1.5 drop i recommend H&R sport springs, its what i use , cleans the gap up nice and isnt too low to navigate rough streets.

#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
n00b

Othniel13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
dont buy them, sport springs arent as good as M3 springs, they arent lower or stiffer, Mtech springs are the exact same springs as M3 springs, so really hes not cant be selling you anything better than an used set of M3 springs, if you want a to go to a 1.5 drop i recommend H&R sport springs, its what i use , cleans the gap up nice and isnt too low to navigate rough streets.
Ok, so if I have a 97 328i, and I wanted to remove the "fender gap" but not bounce all over the place, would you recommend M3 springs or the full H&R 1.5" drop.

I drive long distances for work and sometimes need to take customers out.

Thanks
#4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:27 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
There's many things you would have to change to fit the M3 springs, but if you wanted to go that route (read more money), it might be the most comfortable. The H&R might be a little much since you are worried about the ride comfort for work and customers. I can not honestly give you a better recomendation though. I have been complimented on the way my car rides with bavauto.com springs and I am happy with the handling and look of them, but I think they have sagged over time. But they do come with a 2 year warrenty, but to get them replaced I still have to remove them and mail back etc. But, when I called them, they said that they rarely get complaints of the springs sagging, so perhaps I got lemon set.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 09:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid
I can not honestly give you a better recomendation though. I have been complimented on the way my car rides with bavauto.com springs and I am happy with the handling and look of them...
i was wondering about the bavauto springs myself. so you say all in all they are great springs (unless you get a set of lemons)? fairly priced in my opinion.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:00 AM
n00b

korsion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to korsion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othniel13
Ok, so if I have a 97 328i, and I wanted to remove the "fender gap" but not bounce all over the place, would you recommend M3 springs or the full H&R 1.5" drop.

I drive long distances for work and sometimes need to take customers out.

Thanks
Take a look at the Eibach Pro Kit nice drop without compromising comfort or driveability and not as stiff as the H&R .
#7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:54 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_baker
i was wondering about the bavauto springs myself. so you say all in all they are great springs (unless you get a set of lemons)? fairly priced in my opinion.
I've been happy with the handling with them. But my subframe is getting torn apart from scraping over EVERYTHING unless I am really really really careful and go 2mph at some obsence angle. I am not sure if I should send my springs back to them or not. I already called them about it and they said they would charge me the sale price that I bought my springs for ($175ish) and send me a new set and take the charge off once I send them the set that are on my car. I personally do not want to go through all the hassle of taking the springs off when I am not 100% sure that these new springs are going to work. So what I am thinking about doing (costs $$) is buy some springs from bimmerworld.com. They can custom make eibach springs for any ride height and any stiffness. So I am thinking about getting some fairly stiff but closers to stock ride height springs. Only problem is that it is much more expensive.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 AM
n00b

Othniel13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid
There's many things you would have to change to fit the M3 springs, but if you wanted to go that route (read more money), it might be the most comfortable. The H&R might be a little much since you are worried about the ride comfort for work and customers. I can not honestly give you a better recomendation though. I have been complimented on the way my car rides with bavauto.com springs and I am happy with the handling and look of them, but I think they have sagged over time. But they do come with a 2 year warrenty, but to get them replaced I still have to remove them and mail back etc. But, when I called them, they said that they rarely get complaints of the springs sagging, so perhaps I got lemon set.
Well here is the deal... I have an opportunity to buy a set of 98 M3 Sedan springs, with sway bars. Since I have a 97 328i I thought that the differences would be minimal, correct? Anyone done anything like this?used:
#9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:34 AM
n00b

korsion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to korsion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othniel13
Well here is the deal... I have an opportunity to buy a set of 98 M3 Sedan springs, with sway bars. Since I have a 97 328i I thought that the differences would be minimal, correct? Anyone done anything like this?used:
The M3 springs will fit straight in, some people say there is a little bit of difference in the front springs but they do fit and will make quite a bit of difference to your cars handling etc as well as lowering it 30 mm or so.

The M3 sway bars wont fit on your car, on M3"s the sway bars connect to the strut housing where as the sway bars on your 328 connect to the control arms, plus the 328 sway bars are thicker than the M3 ones and work better IMO.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
M3 sway bars mount differently than your bars. You would have to get M3 struts for them to fit, IIRC.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
i have ridden in a car with both bav auto spring and h&r's (my old bimmer had h&r's) personally i enjoy the h&rs a lot more, but for the price bav auto's arent horrible.....

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)