BMW Werkz banner

Question About Door Gremlin '94 318is

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ultraviolet353 
#1 ·
I have an electric window door problem--first the window won't go all the way up when pressed for more thatn one second the way the passenger winodw does. Second, the interior light flickers when I hit bumps in the road--if I open and close the door it goes away but then comes back. And last and most recntly, my electric door lock is acting up. If I am in the car and I press the lock down, both doors lock and a split second later the locks pop back up. This also happens when I try to lock the dooor from the outside, I will lock and it will automatically unlock. I have to keep opening and closing the door and this usually takes a few miuntes until it stays locked. My question is if these issues are all cause by the same mechanism? If so, what do I need to replace, and about how much will it run me?

#2 ·
you car is cursed, watch the exorsist, lol, sorry dude, no idea what your problem is, however, my mom has the same issue with her e39 (talking about when you try to lock doors from inside)

#3 ·
First let me know what is the model and year of your car.
but so you know, there is a little swicht inside the door lock mechanims on the drivers side and passanger, that swicth tells the car if the door is closed or not, So if the swicth is gone, or going, it will keep making contanct so the car does not know what is going on, that is why you have the weird lights and door lock problem. the lock pop back up because is think the door is open. when is not.

also on the window issue, the electric motor has a magnet built in to it to tell where the window is at. if this magnet backs up, whicg does, the motor has no clue where the windows is, so it does know exaclty where it is.
you can push the magnet back in, but is such a pain to get there, i would greatly tell you to get another motor on ebay and replaced it.

If your car is a coupe or convertible, since the window does not have the metal frame on the top part, there is a feature that drops the windows a couple of inches when you open the door. if the switch on the door lock is gone, the window mechanism is thinkin you have the door open,, and for that reason it will not lift the window.

I would first replace the swicth on the lock, this will fix the locking poping up and should fix the light. if the window still acts up on you, then replace the motor. you can the whole thing, motor and lifter on ebay.

be careful when changing the lifter, you will be taking adjuctments bolts out and so the window need to be adjusted, to prevent headaches, use whit out to mark where exactly the new lifter has to fit in. this will, in most cases, prevent from having to do adjustments.

have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.