push start with total keyless option - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 03:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
(Thread Starter)
hey guys
i began installing the kit an hour ago. i am fine all the way till the step where i install both the push button and the switch into the trim by the cigarette charger. So far i stripped the green and black/yellow wire and attached the wires onto the relay, placed the switch and push button in the dash and ran 2 red wires from the toggle and one red from the push button out to the relay area.

now i am stuck and need help

now i just connect the black wire from the toggle to the brown wire using the blue thing which locks them together, no need to strip the brown wire?

next what does a spade connenctor look like? the red wire from the push button has nothin on the other end, should i just tape it to the open tab on the relay ?

thanks for the help....el or bp or whoever else has done it, if u have a number to call tha would be great
thanks guys

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JUST SOLD:</span> <span style='color:blue'>01 BMW 330i with Sport &amp; M Package(5sp)</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Neutral Member

bpowers is an unknown quantity at this point
Q - make sure to post some pics whe you're done so we can admire your handy work!!
#3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 05:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
dont worry guys...all's cool

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JUST SOLD:</span> <span style='color:blue'>01 BMW 330i with Sport &amp; M Package(5sp)</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
glad you got it. There should have been spade connector on the end of the small red wire. They look like a little shovel with rounded sides.

I must have not crimped it on securely enough and it must have come off. You can see it here though.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:34 PM
4th Gear Member

BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
haha, did notice the times...you got it but three hours later? haha...good stuff Q. Pics would be awesome. Glad it worked out. You are quickly becoming the man at installs and stuff. I remember when you first joined and were like "I have a little technical knowledge, but not really anything about BMWs"

You the man now

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12&quot; Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4&quot; 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25&quot; component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&amp;N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
#6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
hey guys
all is cool but i have a slight problem now.
if i turn the red lock cylinder two times and it remains in run position for the toggle switch, and then i put the key in to read the chip and start the car, the damm steering wheel remains locked.

so for now i removed the red cylinder and did not put thte two tiny screws back on and tighten it, its just hanging out. so now when i put my key in and start i turn it and it clicks and the steering unclock.....i am afraid if my lock freezes at this point i will have the car started but the steering will be locked.

some help would be appreciated.

ya it took me from 2pm -9pm to do it, but that included 3-4 trips to the auto store for various parts , a lunch break , so alll in all around 2 hardcore hours...lol

thanks guys
Q

#7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Defector

Im looking in my book for an answer on that, but hopefully bpowers can shed more light on it, since he was the first to come up with that feature.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
#8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Defector

Did some reading, and it doesn't say how to remove the lock assembly. Cheap Haynes manual.

I also thought about it for a minute, and I'm pretty sure the key can be removed when the switch and cylinder are sey to run. Have you tried removing the key in that position? I don't think anyone else who has had the cylinder fail has reported the steering lock, and I'm pretty sure its because the cylinder is still det to run even though the key is out.

#9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 02:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
hey
ya ben (bpowers) helped me a lot today and waiting for an answer from him yet.

anyways so for now when you guys put your key in without turning it and put the toggle switch on and start the car the steering does not remain locked ?
for example, say you lock the steering after the car is off , how would you unlock the steering so you can drive the car ?

cuz if the cylinder freezes and i start the car, i wont get the one click to unlock the steering wheel....could it be that i turned the red cylinder manually bit too many times ? thought i checked that and if its not turned to what i have it the car would not start.

thanks and let me know what comes up.

later
Q

#10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 02:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
hey
not to state that you guys dont get my problem but what i have right now is the red cylinder hanging out like in the pic below.

so now i sit in my car , put the key in, turn it once so the steering unlocks, then put the toggle switch on and hit push start and i am all good. the steering plastic cover is in my trunk as it wont sit with the cylinder hanging out like that.

the pic is from el presidente's DIY that comes with the kit.

thanks guys
Q

#11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 02:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
sorry, for some reason the pic wont upload but i am sure you guys know what i mean...Q

#12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Neutral Member

If I understand you correctly, Q, if you re-install the ignition switch back onto the lock cylinder, the steering wheel locks when the car is started/key is in...

BUT, if you keep the ignition switch dangling, everything's OK?

If that's the case, my only thought is that this may be some type of redundant security component.

I did not replace my ignition switch back onto the cylinder - no point, really, since mine is frozen. There should be enough space under the dash to stash the ignition switch. If not, remove the lower part of the dash and gently place it somewhere inside there. It's not full of space, but there should definitely be room.

With my ignition switch and A LOT of extra wiring (I went overboard with the length of my wire), I was still able to store everything underneath the steering column and reattach everything to make it look normal.

If you're still having trouble, take a pic and I'll see if I can help further.

Good luck!
#13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Defector

have you tried putting the key in, turning it to run, and then removing the key? If you can do that it should prevent the lock from engaging.

As a possible temp fix, my wheel doesn't lock unless it is moved first. It makes a click when it locks. If you can not move it after turning the car off or until after the car is started, does it still lock up?

Ben, could you possibly post more pictures of your wiring in/around the switch. Also, do you have to turn the key at all, or just insert it?

#14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 11:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If I understand you correctly, Q, if you re-install the ignition switch back onto the lock cylinder, the steering wheel locks when the car is started/key is in...

BUT, if you keep the ignition switch dangling, everything's OK?
hey ben, that is exactly the case as of now. yes i think i can easily tuck it in and put the cover back on but my concern is that if the wheel gets locked , when i put on the toggle switch it does not unlock it, i have to turn the key, wait for one click and it unlocks it....now if my cylinder freezes like yours and i accidently lock it will i be completely screwed ? not saying you should try it on yours but did that ever happen..

yea el i will check if i dont lock it if it remains fine or no but if i move it just an inch or 2 with the car off it locks....so it happens.....

i think i need to somehow turn the key to one click so the steering wheel remains unlocked and then take the key out and leave it in that position, but it wont let me take the key out without turning it back to the original position.

Q

#15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Neutral Member

hey Q - I understand now - you can't pull your key out with the key in the 2nd "0n" position.

With my car, it froze in the position, but for some reason, I can just take the key out. That's the same issue the other person (Princess) is having if you read those posts.

I didn't completely understand before, but as you already know, you need to find a way to keep the key in the same position as your keeping the ignition switch so that the lock cylinder is tricked. So basically you need to find a way to pull the key out in the run position.

I wonder if there is a way to remove the sterring lock feature?

Since your lock cylinder was on its way out anyway, I'm wondering if there's a more "forceful" solution.

A final thought - from our discussions, it seems like you're installing the keyless option with the idea that your cylinder's going to break. For now, could you continue to use your key as normal and just start with the push button and then when the lock cylinder finally fails, you should be all set.

Sorry I can't be of more help Q.

I'll try to take some more pics of mine, but I'm not sure if that'll help you or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)