BMW Werkz banner

push button start

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  El Presidente 
#1 ·
Well, because some member here decided to post a DIY treasure chest, they caused me to go out and spend money today. Im installing a button start below my OBC. Ill post pics when its done, which will be whenever the weather permits. I say sturday by the latest. Should be a great little toy.

#6 ·
I finished mounting my switch tonight and wired up the relay. Now all I have to do is wait for the wind to stop blowing or even better the temp warm up, then I can get outside and in my car and do it.

I did not use the z8 button because I did not want to spend 90 on it and also move or lose my outlet, so I picked up a nice looking switch from radio shack and dremeled a hole in the center tab next to the outlet.

And yes, thats the damn site that made me wanna do it. Its evil, evil I tell ya. Making me spend money...

Anyway, heres my relay and switch. Tomorrow Im going to try and find a good vinal/sign shop and see if I can have a sticker that says "START ENGINE" around the button. Theres one shop in the mall I know of, but I dont know if they can do stuff that small or not.

Attachments

#7 ·
Well, I finally found a place that can print white ink in the size need to have a OEMish-looking label. I'll be picking my switch up tomorrow and if I have time I'll be installing it tomorrow afternoon. Its supposed to rain saturday but I'll try and get it done before then.

#9 ·
I considered that. You could have a fighter-style toggle switch with a protective flip up/down cover, but I wanted something a little less intrusive. Another alternative would be to wire an additional hidden toggle switch to act as an arming switch that when flipped on would make the button live, and could then be flipped off to kill the main button after start-up. A hidden arming switch could also serve as an anti-theft switch too, if you disable they keystart alltogether. Since the button can also be placed just about anywhere, you could make the hole in the lower trim right by the key to avoid others from accidently pressing it.

Im just going to assume that given its location and size it wont happen.

#11 ·
I assume you mean the chip in the key. The key still has to be in the ignition to start (set to run), so I dont think it will be an issue. It worked for other e36s, so I cant imagine why it wont here.

#13 ·
Yeah the push button is awesome, everyone seems to like it. I did mine a while back but i didn't use a relay, I found a site thet you spliced into the ignition wires. Here's a pic:

Attachments

#15 ·
LOL

I have a phone you know. Anyway, yeah, I need em outta here. Sold.

And how do you like my new project? I could do it to the Jeep while you're here.

#16 ·
Thats a pretty nifty idea...but which link did you use from the DIY page? Also, what gauge wire did you use, the diferent links on DIY page say different gauges. Can you give me a complete rundown of each part that you needed, as well as cost? Again, all the DIY links have different info...

Also, to the left of my steering column, I have this little area with 3 panels on it. 2 of the little panels are empty and the 3rd has the button for my traction. Is it possible to wire the starter switch in one of these empty slots?

Did you find a way to work around the double start, without doing the toggle switch? I thikn that the fighter jet style cover would be pretty nifty.

#18 ·
just finished my DIY, posting it now. As for double start, I did not solve for it, but I also do no anticiapte it. My sexy little button was 2.50. all other Qs are answered in the DIY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.