Purchasing 328i Convertible Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lfedje is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Purchasing 328i Convertible Questions

I am new to the fourm, but not new to BMW having previously owned an e30 Cabriolet. I purchased that car out of the showroom in 88 and sold it some 12 years later which I wish I had never done. The new purchaser trashed the car within 12 months and it was sad to see. The best car I had ever owned.

Next Wednesday I will be looking at a 1997 328i Convertible (private sale) with less than 100k Km's. Dealer serviced since new, all records, new rear window, all steering linkage just refreshed. M Sport package. Original paint, never involved in any kind of an accident. Interior is stunning.

Upon inspection what should I be looking out for?

Probable price here in Canada will end up around $10,500. Is this price realistic for British Columbia?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 AM
n00b

copcarguyp71 is on a distinguished road
Not too sure about price for you Canucks....I bought mine with 130K for $6000 US about a year ago.

I would scrutinize the top carefully especially if it is an automatic. If the cooling system is still all original expect to do a revamp pretty soon after purchase as anything over 100K is on borrowed time for the cooling system. This can be used as a bargaining tip though so don't be scared away by it. I totally re-did my cooling system in about 4-5 hours taking my time and did everything from radiator to hoses and water pump...basically anything having to do with cooling was replaced. Obviously check all of your controls to make sure they operate correctly. Other than that if you can get it in the air check the shocks for leaks and the suspension bushings for wear. A PPI (pre-purchase inspection) from a private garage would be best if they will let that happen.

1997 328IC, aluminum radiator, FDM, underdrive pulleys, Shark injected, stainless long Ebay headers, UUC RSC36 cat back, M50 manifold swap, Cosmos CAI, single mass clutch, CDV delete...all that and still no useable cupholders
#3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info. I will do the best I can to get it up on a hoist.

Please note that the car has 100,000km or 62,000 miles so I would think that the Rad wouldn't be an issue yet. I will be looking over all of the service history to see if the shocks, valve cover gasket, and in general what items have been replaced recently.

Great looking car you have there.

Thanks.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Captain... Savvy ?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Also, have a good look around the motor in general... Especially any leaks... open all the caps and smell "burning", coolant or oil !! And the hood motor!!
Check the services etc... I bet there might be some gunk about the block? Clean it off using degreaser and run it to notice any leaks...

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Dabsy

That was exactly what my MBZ/BMW Indie suggested I do. Could be valve cover gasket needing replacement and oil filter housing gasket replacement. I will check all of that area.

Also will check oil, trans fluid, rad fluid etc.

Loren
#6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
...Seals (windows)...
Dashboard info etc...

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)