Join Date: Nov 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
|3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.|
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Originally Posted by Delmarco
I think the fan only runs when the car is moving andnot when the car is parked or idled. (it may be the opposite). At any rate, The fan is the A/C fan and not the heat fan. If the fan was broken then you A/C will not work.)
I just read a trouble shoot on this at Bavauto. For no heat; If you say your heating is coming out the vents cool. Then review this troubleshoot check list.
1. Check Coolant to see that it's the Blue-Green BMW coolant and coolant is filled. Other coolants can cause corrosive damage over time.
2. Check Cabin Mircofilter...if it need replacement ($16 for filter at dealer), it can be clogged and blocking warm air from getting in.
3. Also make sure that your engine is warmed up before you get heat. BMWs do tend to blow hot and A/C air optimally when the car is in motion and not when the car is parked.
4. Since you drive a 1998 E36...your cabin temp control is electrical and on those cars there is a common failure in the dashboard control units.
5. Other problems can be clogged or damaged heater core ($$$ to fix and a rare problem), You may need new fan belts (obvious to spot), your relevant fuses/relays concerning cabin temperature may need to be replaced (common), or your ECU/DME units are malfunctioning (very rare), You may also need a new thermostat.
Originally Posted by 98e36bostonchic
the Fan ( the electrical fan you can see through the mouth of the front bukmper) doesn't turn on, even if I turn on the ac it still doesn't turn on, is it burned? I might have to have my bf chekc to see if there is juice going into it becofre I replace it.
BUt... is this the reason my car's heat doesnt blow warm unless I'm moving? and if I'm in the highway it blows cold (it;s winter here in boston).
|Moving on.. average tem here has been between 30 degrees and 45 degrees....the engine temp stays on the blue (cold zone) even after the has is sitting on idle for over 20 minutes, I get in rev it a little for about 2 minutes the heat blows warm, I drive normal at about 20 mph and the heat gets warmer, once I hit the highway the gauge drops back to the blue zone and the heat blows luke warm.|
Originally Posted by Furious
i didnt read the replies i kinda skimmed them all
1. the front fan is known as the auxilury fan, there could be a few reasons why its not working but the main one is probably gonna be that the fan itself is seized up, very common issue with these and as a matter of fact is the reason mine dosent work....
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|An / Heat||RaleighSS||3-Series (E36)||3||04-18-2005 08:18 PM|
|1986 528 Heat Not Working||medicpg||5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)||1||12-07-2004 05:24 PM|