BMW Werkz banner

problems starting car when cold...

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  VLAD_325is 
#1 ·
alright... every morning my car starts to cough and choke a little bit before starting... that only happens when car is cold and it doesn't matter if its 80 or
60 degrees outside.... i don't think it is starter since it is turning just fine... and btw when the car is warm, the problem does not persist... only when car first started in the morning...

what could it be...

i did all the basic maintenace for this car... all fluids and filters are changed.... fuel injectors are cleaned well... icv is cleaned.. 02 replaced...

:confused: what else is there...

and another thing... the battery looks fine but when i tried to start it today the radio asked me to enter code again... like battery had been disconnected or something even though i did not touch it...

any suggestions??

thanx!

#4 ·
yeah, i am going to check my battery soon.. but i think its something else... because it turns starter well.. not slow when battery is weak...

but the thing is when car is cold and when i start it, the rpms stay at about 850-900 unlike 1200-1300 on other cars... when you guys start your car in the morning does it stay at the same rpms as mine?

once the car is getting warmer, the rpms drop to about 700 which i guess is normal idle rpms... but i think it starts as too low for a cold engine...

i know the similar thing was on my maxima when i started it in the morning... it did similar coughing stuff and my dealer just adjusted idle rpms and it starts fine now..

but i am going to check the battery as well and let you know..

#8 ·
Mine was doing the same thing. I changed out the gas filter and it helped a little bit but it definitely starts better during the day after driving it around than first thing in the morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.