problems 328i just bought - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fatcatsailor is on a distinguished road
problems 328i just bought

Hey everyone, my boy bought a '97 328i and there is some problems. First the wipers are broke. The support has broken and the whole thing needs replaced. I quickly found the only one on Ebay and hope it fits. Its for a 3 series, here is the link.. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Is there a thread for how to install this as it looks complicated?

The check engine light has been on for years as the dealer has over looked this per the previous owner says. We put a Snap-on tool on it and came up with code p0420 Cat. Converter (bank1). and p0430 Catalyst system efficiency below the treshold (bank2). And p0470 Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit or maybe p1403..don't know which one for sure as the guy was in a hurry. So I took it out for a drive, shifts real good through 4 gears, smooth and no slipping but didn't here or feel it lock up the converter. Its running 2500 rpm at 60 mph. This seems high as my 528 runs maybe 75 mph at that speed. If I step on the gas at 60 mph the rpm climbs fast like its slipping. No it is not shifting down. Is the converter bad or is there another problem. He got the car cheep and it is real nice and good shape but looking for that gas mileage. Engine runs like a dream so far lol.

Thanks
fatcatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your son getting an E36. I don't often hear of the wiper assembly breaking but that seems like a great price. Check out realoem.com of you need the part number.

Sounds like the O2 sensors are shot. Worth replacing them, specially if the Milage is high.

2500 doesn't seem high to me. My wife's an runs 4500 rpm at 70mph. But you say the rpm climbs, is that while at highway speed? under acceleration or steady throttle?

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
It is at 60 mph..when I step on the gas it seems like the rpm's climb fast and the car don't go faster. Feels like it is slipping. Is this normal? You think its an o2 sensor? That will keep the lock up converter from locking like an overdrive. I looked in the manual and it says 4 speed automatic. On the brochures for a 328i it says 4 speed with lock up converter. Wonder if they all had locking converters? Dang thing runs like a charm though and the interior is like new. Any word on how to replace this wiper assembly. Looks real tight and a lot of work. I looked in history and can't find much. It broke where the pipe support mounts to the aluminum arm so I can't weld it

Thanks again Vader
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
The code could be a sensor, but to test it, clear the code and see of it comes back. If it comes back you probably have a bad catalytic converter. The link below slid a reasonably priced solution.
PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts -

This thread here describes your problem pretty well:
SES Code P0741 (Torque Converter) - I'm screwed.. - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Posts #1 and #4 are the ones you need to read.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks Vader that sounds like its it. I will do more homework but sounds like a bad TC. Don't know if he will fix it or keep driving it the way it is, as he is a broke college kid. Maybe just run it as its working fine without a lead foot. Dad may have to fix it this summer
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
5 speed swap. Why? because racecar!

Wait till it blows and find a scrap car with a 5 speed and do a swap. I knew a guy who had a scrap 325i and sold the full 5 speed setup for $1,000.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)