BMW Werkz banner

Problem Starting 325ic

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  napalm 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

New problem arose when I finished work today. I had 3 tints and an xm satellite radio install today. I'm wore out and ready to go home, it starts raining. Turn the ignition and get nothing.

All the lights every single electrical component in the car works fine. No starter clicks or clanks or grinds. It acts as if an alarm starter kill interrupted the starting procedure.

I pulled down the factory keyless entry / security system, but don't know much about factory alarms ( I only install 12volt aftermarket audiovoxes ).

Yesterday on my way home I noticed my motor lacking power, very much like one cylinder wasn't firing properly. I attributed this to horrible rain from the tropical storm. When I got home I bought spark plugs but waited for the car to dry before installing. Car started up fine in the morning ( without installing new plugs ). I then drove it to work with zero problems. It sat outside all day without being started. It started to rain an hour before I left work.

I searched some posts and saw something about: "DME" and how the person who posted should search more on the DME. I don't know what the DME refers to, but I can't search it because the forum doesn't allow 3 letter searches.

Is this a starter relay problem? Starter itself problem?

If it is the starter... do I really have to take the intake manifold off to get to it?

Thanks in advance, sorry about lengthy post.

Jesse

See less See more
#3 ·
Originally posted by Gator@Jun 16 2005, 09:07 PM
Sounds like a semi dead battery. Before you go to a lot of touble get the battery load tested, replaced or swapped temporarily with a known good one.
[snapback]354278[/snapback]​

Thanks for the reply.

I did put a voltmeter on the battery and it sat with 12.8 volts
Next just to make sure amperage was there, I put a 200 amp crank/start from a starter box on it. This didn't make a difference either.

No noises at all from the starter/starter relay etc.

Any more ideas? I'm open to them, I want to have the convertible for the weekend! less than 12 hours, and I miss it already!

#4 ·
Attach the voltmeter between the the starter plus lead and ground and see if the starter has voltage when you try to start. If yes the starter is bad. If no its likely the relay. You might also check the ground wire from the battery and starter and make sure both ends aren't corroded.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Gator@Jun 17 2005, 11:11 AM
Attach the voltmeter between the the starter plus lead and ground and see if the starter has voltage when you try to start. If yes the starter is bad. If no its likely the relay. You might also check the ground wire from the battery and starter and make sure both ends aren't corroded.
[snapback]354413[/snapback]​
I'm gonna try that tommorow. I hope I have access to the starter motor, as I see its under the intake. I'll jack it up tommorow and have a look. Thanks for the added tip. I'm still without my car =[

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.