Problem with oil leaking from Oil Filter adapter and maybe more??????? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325IConvertible is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325IConvertible
(Thread Starter)
Problem with oil leaking from Oil Filter adapter and maybe more???????

I took my BMW up to a shop to have the codes ran for it stalling. We found out the throttle body needs to be cleaned out so we did that.

I also had them look to find this oil leak im starting to have as of recently.
3 weeks ago I noticed the car was leaking OIL in large amounts so I had them look at that today as well.

It seems the oil is coming from the oil filter adapter housing or as they call it aka the engine oil filter housing !!!!!!! The mechanic said its either an O ring or a Gasket that needs to be replaced or a cracked housing.

Now for the problem or what may be a problem..... this is where I need expertise in one of yall.

The guy showed me on his computer written in bold wording ..... below where it talks about replacing the Engine oil filter housing it says

on 325I ........... R/R CrankShaft........meaning remove and replace cranksahft

is this true ? when replacing the oil filter housing or replacing the gasket/ O ring does this have to be done and why if so ?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:00 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
How many miles on the engine? Has any serious work been done on it before? That makes no sense. A bad oil filter housing shouldn't have any need for a new crankshaft. That only needs to be done for new main bearings. That amounts to about a total engine rebuild and usually the cylinder head needs that kind of work first.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
That makes absolutely no sense, I just looked in my Bentley & although it did not show a R & R for a oil filter housing...... They do show a R & R for the oil pump which includes removal of the Oil filter housing filter housing & timing chain cover & timing chain to get to the oil pump.......No mention what so ever of the crank shaft............. I think this guy is trying to give you the SHAFT.......Also found this thread @ bimmerfest about adding a oil cooling kit to their housing, and changing over to a euro filter housing & guess what, no talk about replacing their crankshaft......find another mechanic......
johnny,
go to post #7, then click on thumbnail......
Anyone install the Euro oil cooler on S52? - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

RealOEM.COM Part Category Selection

#4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
You don't have to remove the crankshaft. There's two o-rings one big one and one little one that come with new oem oil filters. These should technically be replaced when you change the filter but most people don't do this, including myself when I had my e36. I'd check the housing for any cracks first, it's a couple of screws and an oil line to replace it, but hopefully a new set of o-rings and or gasket seals will do the trick. You can use this picture for reference

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank You all Very much for replying I am in need for help with this.
The guy told me he didnt want to steer me in any wrong directions with this crankshaft thing. He told me it probably would take about 2 hours Max to replace the housing and probably the same if its only the o rings.
He told me to hold off look into some info about this and get back with him on monday...... because the people who would know 100% about this are not in reach right now and he wasnt going to lay anything in stone for what his computer was saying.

SHAHAB323I thanks for posting up about this if you can get those photos up some how that would be great.

Johnny thanks for the link I will check it out.

whiteshark this car does have high miles on it and no I have not knock on wood had any BIG problems out of it..... biggest was radiator exploding at the water neck 3 months ago which got me into replacing 99% of the cooling system lol.

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
#6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
exploding radiator neck is common so not to worry, the picture is up, and it's the same from what johny posted (we posted at the same time). replacing the o-rings takes two seconds

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 AM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

check carefully and think back.... if the oil started leaking soon after your last oil filter change, could just be an oil filter screwed in the wrong way, unless what you have is the element type, of course. Then there's the base gaskets... they're known to leak also.

I would clean the oil leaks with brake cleaner; then start the car so u can visually see where the leaks actually comes from.

on the average, the job to remove and replace housing &/or filter adapter involves 2.7hrs labor(multiply that by your fave shops hourly rate)

Last edited by darkhorse737; 07-13-2008 at 10:11 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Yall have all be GREAT Help !!!!!!!!!!! Ty so very much im looking on pelican so I can do this myself but can seem to find it. Anyone care to give it a try and post the link lol

Thanks again I will keep yall posted

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
#9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:15 PM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Talking

You're in luck...just 6 bolts to remove the housing.

fairly easy job, and it's easily accessible

have fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	2671
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	26808   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil2.jpg
Views:	2729
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	26809  
#10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:26 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
My car used to have a really bad leak from the oil filter housing, till I replaced it.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
325Vert, do you know where the oil filter housing is in your engine bay. If you open up the hood you will see it immediately. It is located at the front of your engine in a silver cylinder housing with a lid screwed down on top of it with a large bolt. Front of engine slightly drivers side when look at the engine dead on. Do you see any leaks or oil residue on it? It's probably just a bad seal/ring. Whenever you replace the oil filter you're supposed to put new o rings on or at least transfer the old ones over. Very simple to do, just need a large wrench to go over that large bolt on the top of the housing.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
absolutely not needed. you dont have to re&re the crankshaft to do it. i mean you can but no need to. a good mechanic would know how to get around that, if your only doing. chances are its gonna be the gasket.

#13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Well once again TY to all of you who threw in some help with your ideas and wonderful info !!!!!!!!!

It's Fixed it was the Gasket on the back of the housing. Well what left of the gasket from before lets put it that way lol
Every time I tear into this car im amazed by the technology from 1995 to where is it today. shakes head oh well Thank again maybe now I can get to this stalling problem. I hope its a fuel filter !!!! just gotta find it first lol

Thanks again for the help !!!!

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)