Problem with the fuel indicator - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 AM
nos
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nos is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nos
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Problem with the fuel indicator

Hope someone can help me with this...

The fuel indicator on my 325i is not working, sowing empty all the time and the red light from it is on. The fuses are ok, the cables inside the dashboard are ok and plugged in corectly, and i wanted to check the fuel sensors (i don't know the technical name for those in english, but i know how they look like and how they work) inside the tank, but I don't know how to get to them. I took off the rear seat and i have (probably) 2 sensors, cause on the left side and also on the right side are 2 round robber disks mounted on the car body, having some wires which goes inside. If someone knows, are the fuel sensors there, and if yes, how can i remove them out for checking?
Thanks in advance.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
johnnyb_s is on a distinguished road
Yes, the fuel sending units are under those two covers. Just remove the four screws that hold each cover in place and remove them to gain access to the fuel sending units leads. The left side will have one plug, which is wired in series with the fuel sending unit on the right side, which will have two seperate plugs. On the right side, one plug is for the fuel pump and the other is for the fuel sending unit.

My guess is that the connection broke off from one of your fuel sending units. That's what happened to me. To test it, use an ohm meter. To fix it, remove the fuel pump/sending unit combo and solder the wire back to its lead. After that, reset the fuel gauge by testing the gauges (holding in the odometer trip reset button, then turning the key to the on position- keep holding the odometer button in until you see the gauges go up and back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)