Problem Found, Input Bearing.. Where to buy and whats the 'proper' name for the part? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EntropicByDesign is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Problem Found, Input Bearing.. Where to buy and whats the 'proper' name for the part?

I got my car (93, 318is, 5spd) on a lift today to try and figure out where my roaring, clunk and other issues where coming from.

Wheel bearings seemed fine, but when you grab the driveshaft as it enters to nose of the differential you can wiggle it around quite a bit. The diff is also leaking fluid around this area, it seems pretty clear that the bearing in the nose of the diff is toast but, and this sounds stupid.. I dont know the name of the bearing. I thought it was called an "input bearing" but Im not sure if thats correct. When i try to search it out on Autozone/Advance/Whatever It doesnt pull anything up.

Do they even sell the part Im looking for, and if so, whats the correct name for it?

Any help would be appreciated, I need to get this car back on the road ASAP. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
n00b

EntropicByDesign is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Ok, I found a pic to better explain what Im talking about..

BMW E36 Differential Swap

The second pic from the very bottom of that page shows the part Im talking about. The author refers to it as the Input Flange. Its the round part coming out of the front of the diff, in the pic the author looks like hes pointing at it with his impact.

On my car you can grab that and basically wiggle it around.

Is there a replaceable bearing in there or.. *shrug*?
#3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member

paco1076 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to paco1076
Differential Pinion Bearing

Try that link. Behind the flange you are talking about is a pinion bearing. You will also need the crush sleeve and any appropriate gasket kit. If you send these guys an email, I am sure they will let you know everything that you will need to do this.

Good luck.

P

1997 E36 M3 - running stocker style right now...
#4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
n00b

artsherly is on a distinguished road
2000 328, rear thud noise when shifting

Hi guys, i would appreciate if someone could help me, i have a 2000 328i, std. When i put 1st gear or shift, there is a reasonable thud noise that comes from the rear of the car, i checked and the only thing that i saw was that the drive shaft had a little play when you move it with your hand, it moves and if you move it harder then it makes the sound, like it has some play inside the diff. please let me know what can i search for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)