problem found - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 323is
Photos:
bimmerteen is on a distinguished road
Unhappy problem found

as i have been posting my car has been lazy, lacking performance, and been all around slow (98' 323is) well today finally found out is was the "cats "
so does anyone know where i can get a replacement
or a cheap performance exhaust system under $500
bimmerteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Any exhaust system you buy will be from the cat back ... wont include it.

Do you guys have emissions testing/yearly inspection in Florida?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
no they stopped doing it years ago.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Well done, I guess now you have something to work with. Maybe check out some of the local parts recyclers to see if they have a good used set.
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerteen View Post
no they stopped doing it years ago.
Take it to an exhaust shop, have them cut it off and weld in a piece of pipe instead or have them dump it out and put it back if you want it to look like it's still there. If there's no emissions testing, you don't need it really.

To answer the question from the PM, the part number is not the same, though I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
do you mean straight pipe?
or is there a certain pipe i will need to put there
Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
yes Torque means put a straight pipe in. any decent shop should only charge you about 25 bucks or so.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
alrightt
would i have 2 buy the pipe?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
most exhaust shops have lengths, i put one in an old car, they sometimes keep remnants from past installations, should have one to fit. yes you will probably obligated to pay for the piece, might charge you ten bucks.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
wow! thats cheap man
one shop said 395 for a universal cat!
but i quess str8 pipe is better
Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
As Torque pointed out, unbolt the old CATS, get a Long screwdriver and a hammer and just break up the Catalytic comb within the body of the CAT. Hey presto, not more obstruction, and totally transperant to the casual observer. Dirt cheap too if the bolts aren't seized and you can get under your car ok.
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
brettski has another point, if you're the least bit DIY-minded, you can hollow out he cats and be on your way. And i understand about the cats at the shops, i used to sell 'hi-flows" to people all the time, easy 300-400 bucks.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
oh okayy that sounds good to i need to do something quick it gets worse everday
as far as straight pipe i would only need enough to replace the cats right? and would i need oxygen simulators for that
Old 12-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 86 E30 and 97 E36
Photos:
Stamey is an unknown quantity at this point
What the other guys are saying is right, but you may find it difficult to find a shop, even though your state has no emissions testing, that will gut the cat or replace it with straight pipe. In many cases this is illegal to do for any shop and they won't take the chance. What I am saying is, if you don't want to replace the cat you might have to do the gutting or replacing of the cat with a pipe yourself.
Around here, Virginia, you can't even buy a cat from a junk yard. I don't know for sure that it's illegal for them to resell the cats, but I know they won't do it.

Chris
Stamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 94 E36 cab 95 MB E 320 cab 1098s Du
Photos:
1098s 312r MIKE is on a distinguished road
Wink Bad cats

Yes you can knock them out I've done it in my shop on a MB 500SL...but I usually take to the local muffler shop that does all my work & they usually charge me $80.00 to $120. for each & its legal...
1098s 312r MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)