BMW Werkz banner

Problem with engine overheat!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Autotechnica 
#1 ·
I just swapped out my stock rad because it was damaged for a replacement which is the same make. After I reinstalled the rad and all the hoses I start the car and after a while it starts to overheat. Is the coolant getting to the engine properly? I filled it to the "Kalt/Cold" line while the engine was cold. Even with my fan on full blast the engine overheated. It can't be the fan, so it must be the coolant or rad. Any ideas on what's wrong? The coolant level was about 1cm below the "cold" mark. Would this cause the engine to overheat?

Thanks,

Bryan

#5 ·
Ok thanks guys, I did this and fixed the overheat problem.

Here's another problem. I fill up the coolant in the top off tank to the "cold" mark when the engine's cold. I start the car and run it till it's warm, all the coolant in the top off tank is gone. I fill it to the mark again, start the car and minutes later the coolant is gone once again. Do I just keep filling it up like this until it stays at the max mark or what? It's not leaking, I checked.

Thanks,

Bry

#6 ·
I would try that cycle 1-2 more times. It sounds like the engine is pumping the coolant in and filling itself up. If this continues, I'd say its a bigger problem. The thing is, the coolant had to go somewhere. I'm assuming it's just filling up.

#7 ·
Originally posted by camnipotent@May 5 2004, 02:16 PM
I would try that cycle 1-2 more times. It sounds like the engine is pumping the coolant in and filling itself up. If this continues, I'd say its a bigger problem. The thing is, the coolant had to go somewhere. I'm assuming it's just filling up.
Cool thanks, lets just hope that's what it's doing. :D

#10 ·
Ok thanks for your helps guys. I topped it off and used 2 full bottles 9L of mixed Prestone coolant. I must have drained almost all of it when I removed my rad. I never drained it from the block though.

Anyways, now it reaches the mark properly when the car is on and off.

You guys were a great help.

Thanks

Bry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.