Problem e36 :( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:12 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e36vertt is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Problem e36 :(

alrite guys so I recently got a 1995 325i convertible but unfortunately its got a lot of minor problems
ive tried searching and found some answers for them but I was hoping if anyone could help with each problem individually

Yes I did check my trunk harness wires and amazingly all 12 wires are ok. no fraying or tears.

1. Speakers are all messed up either no sound or very distorted. the kickers seem to work fine though. I think its because one of the previous owners did some stuff to the headunit and I think didnt connect it all properly ill show you a picture of what Im looking at..

2. and the obc works just fine except that the clock light is very dim and pretty much illegible

3. the interior lights seem to work every once in a while. as of now I got two of them to work with the door opening. dont want to try to switch it to other positions until I know how to fix it

4. My right door didnt open from the outside. The door lock cylinder and stuff was switched out with a different one but now the piece of crap doesnt open either way. It did work but now its just every once in a while.

I know its a lot sorry guys but I searched up all of it and found answers for more than half of the problems already thanks to this forum. hoping to solve these ones now

Also im going to be installing a viper security system in my car but I dont know if it will even work if that door is inoperable mechanically. I think its fine electrically so thats all that will matter right? or should I just get it installed after the door is all fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Are you sure the rear speakers aren't blown?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Is that a Mopar head unit..........in your BMW? Then that is the problem... nah......just kiddin'

This should help you sought the problem with your speakers:

I'll get back to you on everything else!

Pelican Technical Article: BMW Radio Head Unit Installation

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 01-01-2010 at 08:48 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
OBC bulb replacement:
Fixing your BMW OBC (On Board Computer) lights . . . DIY! | BMW E36 Blog

Door lock repair:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=709257

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 01-01-2010 at 08:47 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
I'm not liking all of that electrical tape on the wires either. It's telling me that someone cut and spliced some wires and didn't even bother to insulate the connection properly by using butt connectors or shrink wrap. I'd go back and make sure that all of the connections are secure and done properly.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ok cool i didnt have pics for the headunit so I guess I can yank the adapter off. thankfully the adapter is the piece that is all taped up and stuff not the original wiring. witeshark i think they are but I cant really tell because it might be the wiring of the headunit that could be messing with it.

Ok the obc light is easy i think my biggest problem is the door since it has already been tampered with and doesnt really work inside or out now if only the mechanic didnt touch it in the first place then that guide would be perfect.

Thanks a lot for the help guys anyone know anything about the light above the rear view mirror?
#7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Mr. Clean

Garage
I would just pop the domelight out using a clean flathead screw driver and take a look at the bulb that's not functioning properly. It might just be really worn out and it won't hurt to take a loot at it.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Neutral Member

nnamdi is on a distinguished road
Sometimes you'll never know till you try.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
hey guys alrite so I got my door fixed and got the headunit installed. the rear speaker/tweeters are blown though. security system will be installed once all the electrical problems are sorted out.

ok so the interior dome lights (they only work in the position where they turn on if i open a door). so i released the cover with a screw and everything looked fine. im going to replace all the bulbs regardless but heres the problem.. once I put it back later I noticed that the instrument lights werent working anymore, also this weird problem with the window started again.

what happens with the window is that when im driving (door closed and everything) will just spaz and go up and down like an inch or so very quickly and the dome lights that work go on.

the lights are in the position so that if a door is opened they turn on. and i believe that the window is adjusting itself as if I had opened the door to accomodate the convertible softtop. Is there some wiring in the door itself that is doing this or is it related to the dome light? im going to check all the fuses to see if theyre ok.

so pretty much what could be messing with my dome light, instrument lights, and door/window mechanism (spazzing out acting like the door is opening)? i have the info for the fuses that are responsible for the interior lights and instrument illumination and central body electronics if that has to do with anything. where can i get fuses and is the fusebox located behind the glove compartment? sorry about this but ive spent some time searching for all these problems and found answers to some but they dont help too much. Gotta study for school too :[ Thanks ahead of time.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Mr. Clean

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36vertt View Post
what happens with the window is that when im driving (door closed and everything) will just spaz and go up and down like an inch or so very quickly and the dome lights that work go on.

the lights are in the position so that if a door is opened they turn on. and i believe that the window is adjusting itself as if I had opened the door to accomodate the convertible softtop. Is there some wiring in the door itself that is doing this or is it related to the dome light? im going to check all the fuses to see if theyre ok.
I don't believe the wiring for the dome lights and the window regulator are related. If the window is adjusting itself thinking that the door is open I would think there is an issue with the sensor in the door jamb. Try spraying it with WD40 first and see if that works.
#11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
will try that out thanks man
also I was looking around and getting different answers for the instrument light bulbs..
one site says they are 3 watt bulbs and another says 1.2 and another says 1.5. will any of them work?
#12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:19 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
what is that? that black vent to the direct left of the arrow. Its some sort of a/c vent but when I was installing my headunit I never saw that. That might be why theres that black/brown sticky spongey crap all over the plastic in there..

my a/c works fine without it but im just curious
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent_screw_right_large.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	28859  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)