BMW Werkz banner

Problem with the Coolant Leak

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  007ben 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I am a newbie to this Beemer world. Bought a 95 325i a month back and need some help with the coolant leakage.

I am happy to say that I was able to remove my Tint for all the windows(to pass my MD insepction) successfully on a bright sunny day. I feel very happy when I work on my car. :clap2

I first noticed that the coolant level is getting down very often (but I didn't notice any coolant on the floor where I parked). so, I took it to the BMW certified (Excruservice) mechanic, they said that there is a problem with the themostat and the thermostat hoose(spelling may be wrong). SO, got replaced both of them and said that It was fixed for $200. But later after a week I was surprised to see my light glows to "Check the coolant level".

when I talked to the mechanic this morning, he is telling that there could be some other reason which causes this leak (It might be water pump, or some thing else), which he didn't notice during the fix. And he wants me to bring the car again. I am not really comfortable taking the car because, Since he is not able to fix it before? I can't trust him in fixing this time. I heard that teh water pump replacement might cause some 5-600 bugs. Actually, the water pump was replaced an year ago by the prevous owner. So, Can you guys suggest me what do I need to do? take the car to the same guy or do some testing of where it is leaking on my own? or suggest another guy near to Rockville, MD.

One more help regarding my car sun roof. a few days ago all of sudden the cover of the sunroof got struck inside when I opened the roof. The sun roof is operating but the cover struck on the back which doesn't look good, when I close the roof. The mechanic said that it might cause some $600 to get that fixed. Is there a way that I can bring that roof cover to the front.

Thanks for all your replies.
Srini.

See less See more
#2 ·
check the radiaor be sure its not leaking... they are prone to leaking around the plastic ededge and or the plastic cracking or breaking.

You can replace your cooling system on your own with a kit from bimmerworld.com for around $320 (not including the tools you may not have) I did it about a month a go and no more check coolant level light. I had a small/slow leak on the radiator.

#3 ·
How do we check, where the leak is from? Because last weekend I went under my car and noticed that there is a leak line mark (and a little foriegn material after the coolant is dried) under/nearer to the radiator. So, how do we test the leak in the radiator or other possible leak.

Thanks,
Srini.

#4 ·
pop the after a drive and see where the leak is coming from and see if you see any coolant. listening can help too. sqeeze the hoses this will move air and warter around to help make sounds, bubbles or fluids show them selfs.

but if your seeing the dried coolant thats a good sign there is a link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.